Fall color thread

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Still doing fall colors here in AZ. Sunny 73 today...(don't hate the poster hate your weather :D :D :D )
Bald cypress. Copper colored.

View attachment 274477
I'm sorry, I do hate you just a little bit. We're looking at 4-8 inches of snow, and some freezing rain/sleet, just to add a little excitement. 🤬😡

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
almost looks like a beach at first quick glance...

No, this is a beech. ;) Took a while to fade from green. Leaves are in various stages of turning, drying and dropping. From what I understand, some will curl up and hang on through winter if not removed.

Picked this up over the summer. Japanese beech imported ~15 years ago and through the hands of a few owners in the Sacramento area since then. I haven't done any work to it, yet.

IMG_6417.jpg . IMG_6418.jpg . IMG_6419.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No, this is a beech. ;) Took a while to fade from green. Leaves are in various stages of turning, drying and dropping. From what I understand, some will curl up and hang on through winter if not removed.

Picked this up over the summer. Japanese beech imported ~15 years ago and through the hands of a few owners in the Sacramento area since then. I haven't done any work to it, yet.

View attachment 274711 . View attachment 274710 . View attachment 274709
lol Beach Beech, Biatch.... Love beech buds.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes its a Korean Hornbeam. I didn't get much colour this year unfortunately. This was it last year:

View attachment 270994

Yes the bark is really unusual, its been like that ever since I bought it in 2014. Its had a fair bit of work done on it so far including 6 or 7 approach and thread grafts to add interior branches etc.. I'll hopefully be able to cut back to soon.
Yes its a Korean Hornbeam. I didn't get much colour this year unfortunately. This was it last year:

View attachment 270994

Yes the bark is really unusual, its been like that ever since I bought it in 2014. Its had a fair bit of work done on it so far including 6 or 7 approach and thread grafts to add interior branches etc.. I'll hopefully be able to cut back to soon.

@Paulpash @JudyB I just saw this tree on @William N. Valavanis blog website with the exact same bark as mine but he calls it a Red Leaf Hornbeam... Not sure if that's the same as a Korean Hornbeam?

Red Leaf Hornbeam.JPG

One of my trees with a colourful sacrifice branch to keep within the thread rules:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Paulpash @JudyB I just saw this tree on @William N. Valavanis blog website with the exact same bark as mine but he calls it a Red Leaf Hornbeam... Not sure if that's the same as a Korean Hornbeam?

View attachment 275021

One of my trees with a colourful sacrifice branch to keep within the thread rules:

View attachment 275022
I do not know what the red leaf cultivar of hornbeam is, but Korean Hornbeam is a specific variety. I'm sure that Mr. V. would list it as such if it were one.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Many Adventures of Pooh ride at Disneyland. Don't ask what temps are you will not like the answer! 😁
20191228_111252.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Top Bottom