Favorite American potter?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rayner pots are amazingly durable-- she puts out a lot of work with some very fine larger ovals. Lenz pots are great proportionally but alas he is done and they are getting less available. Lang pots are always strong with perfect shapes. Local potters can be commisioned but be emphatic on shape proportion and weatherproofness and strength characteristics
I second Crust on all of these. Rayner, Lang and Lenz (if you can find one) are the top tier of bonsai potters in the U.S. for me. Anything they make is quality and works visually, as well as horticulturally, with trees. They know proportions that work for bonsai (which is a critical point that the majority of potters just getting into making bonsai pots misunderstand, just don't get, or can't achieve technically). Ranyer and Lang can also make pots to go with specific trees.

I also consider Don Gould one of the best bonsai potters in the U.S. His work is still around, even though he isn't. I've got several of his early works including a big custom pot he made for me. (his later stuff was too "out there" to use with trees).

I tried to work with local potters to varying degrees of success. Some are just to "into themselves" to make a decent recognizable bonsai pot, some can't get past the "it's just a baking dish with holes in the bottom" approach, others get stuck on making pots that scream "look at me and how precious I am." Neither approach produces much of a bonsai container. Some local potters also tend to consider themselves "Arteests" with a capital "A" and think bending their work to fit into the bonsai pot format is beneath them.

That format of "plain and simple" seems simple, but it's not easy to pull off well. It is demanding in skill and design to make it work.

I don't buy pots for makers' seals or reputation. I buy what works visually and what works with trees. I also don't buy pots to go with trees. I buy pots that CAN go with A NUMBER OF TREES. I have been buying bonsai pots from Western potters for two decades, including from potters from Europe (don't get me started on those, as there are some awesome potters over there -- some who have become astronomically expensive in resale here in the U.S.)

I've posted this photo before, but I'm too lazy to take another. I have a pot problem ;-) That pile includes U.S., U.K., German, Japanese and Chinese pots. The second photo of the boxwood is a Don Gould drum. I've got more inside and around the yard too.
bonsaipots.jpgboxwood3.jpg

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I blame Carol for instigating my addiction to Chuck Iker’s work. I just received a beautiful cascade pot that is the same glazing as a semi that holds one of my quinces. A dark navy blue emerges from a gray/blue, which to me is suggestive of mountains seen through mist or clouds. The new one is the eighteenth.
.5F10999F-9922-44A4-B750-9F680DE1A121.jpeg
For someone who doesn’t do bonsai pots per se, but is a fabulous potter and ceramicist you should check out Akira Satake.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I blame Carol for instigating my addiction to Chuck Iker’s work. I just received a beautiful cascade pot that is the same glazing as a semi that holds one of my quinces. A dark navy blue emerges from a gray/blue, which to me is suggestive of mountains seen through mist or clouds. The new one is the eighteenth.
.View attachment 218719
For someone who doesn’t do bonsai pots per se, but is a fabulous potter and ceramicist you should check out Akira Satake.
I guess, next I'll be to blame for all of the flowering trees you have amassed....

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
A few Oregon potters that haven’t been mentioned yet are Jan Rentanour and Vicki Chamberlain. Jan does beautiful free form pots that are fired in an anagama kiln, and Vicki does more traditional shapes with awesome organic looking glazes using local ash and other interesting ingredients. Both do very high quality and beautiful work.

JoshuaRN

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lang and Sharon Edwards are absolutely amazing, a little out of the price range for impulse purchasing though... would have to have a specific tree in mind.
quick question for you guys, and i mean no offence, but can anyone fill me in on why max braverman pots are held in such high regard? not doubting quality, or appeal; asking if its a matter of taste, or if its a quality classification.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I love old Micheal Hagadorn pots. Love Jim Gremel pots. Jim Berrett makes some sweet pots. There is a new lady who is very good at pot making and I'm sure the east coast will welcome her additions to the east. Her name is April Grigsby and she just left Fresno Ca and is now in Ohio. Look for her to spread quickly there.
This is some of her work.
DSC_0009.JPGDSC_0011.JPGDSC_0013.JPGDSC_0015.JPGDSC_0025.JPG

This is just before she left. This is the last pot I managed to snag from her.

27459889_325777661266924_2286575350910460140_n.jpg

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love old Micheal Hagadorn pots. Love Jim Gremel pots. Jim Berrett makes some sweet pots. There is a new lady who is very good at pot making and I'm sure the east coast will welcome her additions to the east. Her name is April Grigsby and she just left Fresno Ca and is now in Ohio. Look for her to spread quickly there.
View attachment 218793View attachment 218794View attachment 218795View attachment 218796View attachment 218797

View attachment 218799

Wow, some seriously solid pots! Will have to keep an eye out, does she have a website?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 218793View attachment 218794View attachment 218795View attachment 218796View attachment 218797

View attachment 218799
that little

View attachment 218799
The little speckled guy in photo #3 is gorgeous, but the celadon green in pic #5 is simply spectacular.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most have mentioned my favs, there is one name I'd add, a newer find Beau Vienne, he's over on FB. Very interesting style, and unusual shaping.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I bought a crappy larch for $75, because it was in a 9 inch diameter Don Gould pot. I recognized the pot, the seller apparently did not. It was not my job to educate the seller. I composted the larch. Still have the pot. Win.

Yep, can't forget Sonny Boggs, have a couple. Sara Rayner of course, every year I buy one from Sara when she comes to Chicago, I have over 20 different Sara Rayner pots. Maybe half are in use.

I always feel I'm forgetting someone I like when I try to list potters. There are many really good American potters.

JoshuaRN

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a crappy larch for $75, because it was in a 9 inch diameter Don Gould pot. I recognized the pot, the seller apparently did not. It was not my job to educate the seller. I composted the larch. Still have the pot. Win.

Yep, can't forget Sonny Boggs, have a couple. Sara Rayner of course, every year I buy one from Sara when she comes to Chicago, I have over 20 different Sara Rayner pots. Maybe half are in use.

I always feel I'm forgetting someone I like when I try to list potters. There are many really good American potters.
I love Boggs pots , lately I have been looking at one of the resident potters work from here soldato(?) his auctions go fast, beautiful work though.
My bucket list is a Lang pot and a Sarah Edwards pot , and I recently bought a pot by Jim and Maureen jenigan that’s possibly the best built small pot I own .
Happy this post is still going , lots of good recommendations .

Top Bottom