Favorite American potter?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You know Lang pots are pretty reasonable, I've had him do custom pots made that were surprisingly affordable.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
dsc_0025-jpg.218797
Love this.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love old Micheal Hagadorn pots. Love Jim Gremel pots. Jim Berrett makes some sweet pots. There is a new lady who is very good at pot making and I'm sure the east coast will welcome her additions to the east. Her name is April Grigsby and she just left Fresno Ca and is now in Ohio. Look for her to spread quickly there.
This is some of her work.
View attachment 218793View attachment 218794View attachment 218795View attachment 218796View attachment 218797

This is just before she left. This is the last pot I managed to snag from her.

View attachment 218799
I love these, very traditionally looking pots, a new bookmark saved. You've got many good potters on your shore of a pond, but this one really got me, thanks.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Another that I failed to mention. Linda Ippel. I met her in Grand Rapids Michigan, where she was selling at a MABA event. I was thinking her pots are lighter, in colors, great for tropicals, some maples and flowering trees. Lots of nice blues and greens in her glazes. At the time she was using a very light colored clay body, so most of her pots would not work for pines. But her tastes will evolve with her technique. I think she is a potter to keep an eye on. Right now if you are looking for a pot for a ficus, a Serissa or Eugenia, I would definitely look her up.

Some potters, are very consistent over long periods of time. Some change up their clay bodies, and glazes every few months to every few years. I like them all, but the ones who keep experimenting keep me checking in on their websites and seeking them out at shows. I also have a Dale Cochoy pot or two.

Byron Myrick (spelling?) - I bought a large round with a great blend of various blue colors from him in Saint Louis 2018, at the ABS meeting. Perfect for a large Satsuki I have that needs a pot that isn't cracked. It would work for an autumn Ginkgo display too.

Over the 20 years I have collected Sara Rayner, I have seen a wonderful progression of different glazes, clay bodies, and styles and finishes. You can almost tell when one of her pots was made by the texture of the exterior of her pots. Early pots were perfectly smooth, glass like. I really love her series that feel like fine leather, not quite smooth, but not rough.

We do need more potters doing slab built work. Dale Cochoy makes a few, Sorce makes many more. Lang and others made slab built pots, but there are 5 potters who only do wheel thrown pots for every potter that makes at least 20 % of their pots as slab built. Nothing wrong with round pots, but sometimes a tree really needs a square or rectangle or oval.

Last edited:

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I love Boggs pots , lately I have been looking at one of the resident potters work from here soldato(?) his auctions go fast, beautiful work though.
My bucket list is a Lang pot and a Sarah Edwards pot , and I recently bought a pot by Jim and Maureen jenigan that’s possibly the best built small pot I own .
Happy this post is still going , lots of good recommendations .
Gotta catch the auctions Sunday night when they open. My best stuff usually lasts about an hour on there if I put a bin price. I always have a slew of pots on hand too. Feel free to send me a DM if your interested or there is something you're looking for. Thanks man I appreciate the good words

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have found a potter close to home that makes some really beautiful and conservative pots that I adore. Stone Garden Pottery, LLC. He visited our show two years ago and I purchase some pots from him. He has not been around since, I think I may have run him off, something I am very sad about. Following are two shohin Mugos in his pots.

ShoMugHanner Pot.jpgShoMugoHanPOt_edited-1.jpg

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
The talent of Ceramic artists in the US if definitely increasing. Lot's a great ceramic artists, I think my three personal favorites right now are-

Roy Minarai, Steve Ziebarth and Ron Lang.

Here's some of their works below.
1. Roy Minarai-similar blue glaze to Tokufuji
2. Collaboration between Roy Minarai who did the glaze and Steve Z who made the pot.
3. incredibly detailed and beautiful carved pot by Steve Ziebarth
4. Beautiful glazed container by Steve Ziebarth
5. Ryan Neil's famous RMJ in custom unglazed Ron Lang.

Attachments

• 46501073_2183538405197692_1361391640832376832_n.jpg
    46501073_2183538405197692_1361391640832376832_n.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 34133843_2060090700875797_3934482732272320512_n.jpg
    34133843_2060090700875797_3934482732272320512_n.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 11222973_10207594883699253_2443389242633593306_o.jpg
    11222973_10207594883699253_2443389242633593306_o.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 19250756_10215881063208562_3589799549359153174_o.jpg
    19250756_10215881063208562_3589799549359153174_o.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 33
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 31

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have enjoyed Sonny Boggs pots since I met him as R.O.B back in the 90's!

In addition to those others have mentioned, I like what Eli Akins (Hometeamrocker I believe) is doing a whole bunch, as well as Ross Adams at Nitju Clayworks. I find their pots beautiful, subtle and highly usable.

Bananaman, thanks for the link to April's work. The pots you showed are worth more looking at!

Regards,
Martin

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I love Boggs pots , lately I have been looking at one of the resident potters work from here soldato(?) his auctions go fast, beautiful work though.
My bucket list is a Lang pot and a Sarah Edwards pot , and I recently bought a pot by Jim and Maureen jenigan that’s possibly the best built small pot I own .
Happy this post is still going , lots of good recommendations .
Again, the best way to win FB auctions, is to buy them before they go there....

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Lang and Sharon Edwards are absolutely amazing, a little out of the price range for impulse purchasing though... would have to have a specific tree in mind.
quick question for you guys, and i mean no offence, but can anyone fill me in on why max braverman pots are held in such high regard? not doubting quality, or appeal; asking if its a matter of taste, or if its a quality classification.

Max Braverman’s pots are very “useable” for multiple species and styles. This to me is a big factor when I buy containers. I like his glazed pots; especially for clump style and taller, thin trunk trees.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
There are many talented American potters. I will leave some out of course but

A few that stand apart due to their consistent quality and functionality with trees in them are:

Lenz, Lang, Paul Kattich (not well known but maybe one of the best formal style Potters I’ve known), Hagedorn, Dimig, older Sara Raynor, older Dale Cochoy, Ross Adams, Steve Ziebarth (I keep trying to talk him into full-time ceramics work....), and Rob Adanizzio.

A few new-comers I feel will make a big splash are Dean Bullock from NC (lots of slab built wood fired), John Cole from Nashville, Source from Chicago and Eli Akins from Atlanta. Dean’s work is high quality and he just got into this. Wood fried containers are not easy to make and drastically undervalued.

I really like some of the older British bonsai containers as they are often quite thin, but well made with quality glazes. They happen to be my favorite with Derek Aspinall, Gordon Duffet, Dan Barton, Bryan Albright, and a few others cranking out nothing but quality.

JoshuaRN

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone

A few that stand apart due to their consistent quality and functionality with trees in them are:

Lenz, Lang, Paul Kattich (not well known but maybe one of the best formal style Potters I’ve known), Hagedorn, Dimig, older Sara Raynor, older Dale Cochoy, Ross Adams, Steve Ziebarth (I keep trying to talk him into full-time ceramics work....), and Rob Adanizzio.

A few new-comers I feel will make a big splash are Dean Bullock from NC (lots of slab built wood fired), John Cole from Nashville, Source from Chicago and Eli Akins from Atlanta. Dean’s work is high quality and he just got into this. Wood fried containers are not easy to make and drastically undervalued.

I really like some of the older British bonsai containers as they are often quite thin, but well made with quality glazes. They happen to be my favorite with Derek Aspinall, Gordon Duffet, Dan Barton, Bryan Albright, and a few others cranking out nothing but quality.
On the mention of wood fired pots , local potters guild (doubles as a pottery club for public) just finished a monster wood kiln... here’s where I get that wood fired pots are rare. The thing takes 3 days to fire and 20 volunteers working in shifts , they turn it into a 3 day bbq event but still ... absolutely nuts . Artistically I think I still favor unglazed or stained pots and raku (can’t get passed that color and pattern) . I haven’t seen many wood fired examples though .

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I like all types of glazes, and the unglazed finishes. Too many of one type in a collection limits your tree & pot combinations.
You got to love the clean, vibrant colors of an electric kiln. The interesting reduction colors of a gas fired kiln. And the reduction colors, and random flame and ash marks and effects of a wood kiln. Raku is cool. Salt glazes are interestings. One should have one or two examples of each, for a start.

I really love the vibrant colors of a Roy Minari pot. Every time I looked into one of his pots, it is sold before I get my credit card out. I guess I'll have to commission him to make one for me at some point. But I don't have a tree worth that honor, yet.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know Lang pots are pretty reasonable, I've had him do custom pots made that were surprisingly affordable.
Yeah. He does commissions really well. Worked with him on a few pots. I got spoiled because I used to see him every year at the Potomac Bonsai Show at the Arb.

He moved to the Wilmington, N.C. a while back. Best way to get great pots from Ron is to physically GO to his kiln openings. You get to pick and choose among the non-commissioned pots in the batch. There are some GREAT ones there that don't make it to the show vendor tents.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Gotta agree with you on the wood fired pots (and Hagedorn, Dimig, and Cochoy). Wood fired pots special and not well appreciated. They can have spectacular spontaneous glaze effect. Ron Lang's older work is almost exclusively wood fired. Don't know if he's got a big wood fired kiln at his new place in Carolina.

I also like the older British pots. Have a few from Bryan Albright, who sadly isn't making pots anymore.

JoshuaRN

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Figures , I was just in Wilmington not too long ago. If anyone has any Usmc family stationed in lejuene you coild convince them take a break from getting drunk in Wilmington and stop in(locals never liked us anyhow)
Opinion question though- with only a few finished trees and too many to count in training should
You need to have a tree worthy of a pot to purchase it? I find myself building a nice collection but really not much need for most of them for a few years out. (I just custom ordered a purple rectangle for a maple that has years of development ahead of it)

Top Bottom