• Calculated by distance or weight

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Even if you are not in the market for starter trees, would you all please take a few minutes and take this poll? I would really like to provide a service that the bonsai community would enjoy.

Obviously the free shipping is easier but results in the appearance of a higher cost per plant. The other options result in an apparently lower cost per item but may cost more depending on the variables.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Personally, I prefer you charge me low price for the plants, and then whatever actual shipping cost is.

I don't know that it would make a huge difference either way, however. Definitely not a deal killer if you have nice stock.

BBristow79

Seedling
Reaction score
I have shipped 100's of packages of live coral. Close enough to live trees :) I found the best method was always to charge by distance, weight, or in the case of Canada size too. Here is my reasoning,

a) Free shipping charge added to the plant - If each item carries the full cost to ship it, than the cost per item is very high and would stifle sales.

b and c) Fixed rates with additional charges can work but you will have to work on a average basis. Some people will underpay, some will overpay. Not bad options...

d) Exact rates - This is a bit more work to do on the sellers behalf but I feel it is appreciated by the buyers. Customers love to be charged the exact cost for shipping, even if you add a handling charge. Its all transparent and they don't feel like they are losing anything on the deal. If you can invent a bit of extra time to go this route it is the best one imo.

On a side note, if you do go with the exact rates you can set up a calculator link for USPS or whichever carrier you want to use and its super easy to use.

Brent
P.S. If you get into volume do yourself a favor and buy a thermal label maker from Zebra. That thing has saved me 100's of hours :)

BBristow79

Seedling
Reaction score
Just read you were looking to sell on ebay. For this you want to stay away from free shipping unless they have a promotion on. One of the ways ebay nickles and dimes you to death is through free shipping. When ebay charges fees they do so based off of the end value of the item you sell. Shipping is not calculated in your fee price. If you charge free shipping and add the cost to the item you will be eating more fees, and it really adds up.

Not sure how much product you have or if you a super familiar with ebay rules and best practices but please feel free to email me with any questions. I have sold about 10, 000 items there, still working on not getting screwed over by ebay/paypal/scammers ;)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Thanks to everyone for the input! Brent sharing your experience is priceless! I don't mind doing a bit extra for folks so that they can get the best possible deal. I would appreciate that.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I trusted the vendor, then actual shipping and handling. If it were a vendor that I didn't know then I feel more comfortable with a fixed shipping price.

Top Bottom