Fertilizer question

bonsaibiker

Seedling
Reaction score
I was looking at the big box home centers for an inexpensive balanced fertilizer and the only thing I can find is a 40 lb. bag of 10-10-10 granulated lawn and garden fertilizer. It doesn't say anything about using it on potted plants, just landscape trees and shrubs. The label says use 2-4 tablespoons for trees up to 12" tall. Is this Ok for Bonsai use? Half strength or full strength? I am guessing it will wash out through the pots pretty quickly since they have a very free draining soil mix in them. Just wondering if anyone else has used this type of fertilizer on containerized plants?

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How bout regular old Miracle Grow or Miracid or Peters??

Do you have a mondo amount of plants??? It would take years to go through a 40 lbs bag unless you were a grower or nursery.

I alternate every two weeks during the growing season---1 Miracle grow then 2 weeks later Neptunes Harvest Fish and Seaweed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was looking at the big box home centers for an inexpensive balanced fertilizer and the only thing I can find is a 40 lb. bag of 10-10-10 granulated lawn and garden fertilizer. It doesn't say anything about using it on potted plants, just landscape trees and shrubs. The label says use 2-4 tablespoons for trees up to 12" tall. Is this Ok for Bonsai use? Half strength or full strength? I am guessing it will wash out through the pots pretty quickly since they have a very free draining soil mix in them. Just wondering if anyone else has used this type of fertilizer on containerized plants?

It will work just fine. I would use very little at a time. Just sprinkle a little on the soil and scratch it in. if you have moss I would lift he moss and put he fert under it. Us a light hand because it is not slow release and in a pot the chance of "burn" is higher. But I would use it if I had it.

bonsaibiker

Seedling
Reaction score
[
How bout regular old Miracle Grow or Miracid or Peters??

Do you have a mondo amount of plants??? It would take years to go through a 40 lbs bag unless you were a grower or nursery.

pauldogx, None of the stores I looked in carry a balanced mix of Miracle grow or Peters, they seem to have any other combination but that one. I do have a lot of plants to fertilize because I have been taking cuttings for a couple of years now and they are starting to add up.

It will work just fine. I would use very little at a time. Just sprinkle a little on the soil and scratch it in. if you have moss I would lift he moss and put he fert under it. Us a light hand because it is not slow release and in a pot the chance of "burn" is higher. But I would use it if I had it.

Thanks Michael, I was worried about burning the roots, I put a light teaspoon full of fertilizer in a few 4" pots about a week ago and they seem to be doing OK so far. Just wanted to get some input here before I used it on everything else.

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I use MiracleGro all-purpose that I get from Costco in a huge box that lasts 2 years or more. There is no shelf life expiration on it, in fact if moisture gets to it and it hardens just soften it in water and it still works fine.

Its not totally balanced, at 24-8-16 but works well for me, and does contain essential micronutrients.

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would worry about the lack of micro-nutrients in the 10-10-10. Perhaps you could look in the houseplant area of the home center for Peters, Miracle Gro, etc.

Frank

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Worry less about balanced and more about applying it often and enough. I am an advocate of feeding heavy during development. If it's in proper free draining soil and watered properly the chances of root burn are slim to slimmer to none.

I have adopted the Pall method - whatever is cheap and on sale. Thanks Walter!

Top Bottom