Ficus Burtt Davyi Over Concrete Form

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’ve always really liked this composition, also with Ficus Burtt Davyi:
IMG_8125.jpeg
(I’d give credit if I knew who took the photo and/or grew this one.)

Years ago my youngest son and I were working on a project, when he decided to dump some leftover concrete in an empty juice box container. After it solidified it became less interesting to him and sat in the garage for a couple years. I decided to repurpose the formed concrete chunk in a modern nod to the above composition. And I get to think of him whenever I look at it.

After using a grinder to cut a more interesting angle into the base, I attached it to a porcelain tile using epoxy putty:
IMG_2229.jpeg
IMG_2230.jpeg
IMG_2231.jpeg

Last year, on August 13, 2022, I began …

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Oh, real quick before I go into that—I had sketched out how I wanted it to look, probably during a conference call:
IMG_2873.jpeg

I had a scraggly rooted cutting that I wasn’t doing anything with and decided to put it to use. Thinking about here for placement:
IMG_2238.jpeg
Made some cuts to get the trunk closer to the concrete. I really want it to look adhered to the form:
IMG_2240.jpeg
Used garden tape to lock it in against the form:
IMG_2243.jpeg
IMG_2245.jpeg
IMG_2244.jpeg
There we go:
IMG_2246.jpeg
As you can see, I chose to keep those larger roots and wired them around the base. Not sure if they’ll stay.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Planted up deep that same day, August 13, 2022:
IMG_2247.jpeg
A few days later:
IMG_2387.jpeg
IMG_2390.jpeg
I knew I’d have to force the trunk against the top to get the look I was going for, so for a few days I would bend it a bit to make it more pliable:
IMG_2415.jpeg
Then finally on August 25, 2022, I gave it some external motivation:
IMG_2573.jpeg
Voila (September 6, 2022):
IMG_2870.jpeg

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Even though I’m in coastal Southern California, it gets cool enough during winter to slow these ficus down quite a bit. Fast forward to April 2023. I decided to use zip ties and rubber weatherstripping to put more pressure on the top of the tree:
IMG_0018.jpeg
IMG_0020.jpeg

And now we come to this week in October 2023. I haven’t pruned leaves or branches at all—just let it be:
IMG_3808.jpeg
IMG_3805.jpeg
IMG_3806.jpeg
I had pruned long roots coming from the drainage holes a few weeks ago. The roots are even running on the top of the soil as you can see here:
IMG_3807.jpeg

I’ll probably do nothing until closer to Spring or Summer 2024, at which point I’ll lift it out and work the roots. I have some ideas that should give me a pretty impressive nebari on this guy.

Top Bottom