Ficus retusa styling help

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

@19MATEO83
Thanks! I'm happy, "natural looking" roots are something I want on this tree.
Ok as you can see there is still work to do on the roots, especially the front ones for aesthetic reasons but I have alot of time and alot of options so I will be able to plan the next move and do more root work in 2023.
I can say that the cutting paste really helped to set-up the aerial roots in place for the first few weeks and I'm satisfied with the result except for 3 roots, the higher ones on the exterior right side...
I couldn't really bent them to a point were they were following the trunk perfectly and I also wanted to bend the rule a little to get more lower branch size but @Maiden69 said on aerial roots: they will increase the size of whatever is above them... so each 3 point of the roots origin are starting to swell.
I have more time as theses roots are still not creating a reverse taper on the branch yet but the "aerial section" from the branch to the trunk will have to be removed, hoping they will be fused at the base.

Theses famous aerial roots are also related to @luvinthemountains comment.
I realize that I couldn't wire the branch without damaging the aerial roots...so Im experiencing with guy wire.
As you mention it, I also think there should be more angle on that branch but I don't like the fact that for now the guy wire is attached to the pot, so I'm adding tension progressively, I think I will be able to get a proper angle and attach the wire on the tree directly.
Removing the higher section of theses roots and simply wiring that branch sounds like a better idea but theses branches are forgiving and easy to bend so I will see what the guy wire can do.

They say to enjoy your own work and results.... Im not stupid nor blind as Ive seen what members here are capable of, the proportions of the tree are not good, beginner mistakes everywhere but for a reason... I like it.. funny as it is I see it full of foliage in summer time, right in the middle of a mid height bench in front of the pool looking like the tree of life!

Thanks again!
Ugo

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Little update on this tree!
I decided to do a repot on the tree last week.
It grew well during the last 2 years and the design is starting to appear.
I did the repot early as the tree already started to push growth inside the grow tent, lots of young roots were growing out the pot wasting precious resources that I want in the pot.

So I am now focusing on getting proper conditions for the tree to recover in the grow tent, just before Spring and Summer arrive and I can focus on secondary/tertiary ramification (I don't repot this tree in summer as a lot of people do...!)
I will also attempt to graft a branch at the upper part of the tree, 8 cuttings has been selected so far and I'm waiting for the right moment to attempt the graft.

So here the progression from last 2 years Starting in April 21¨
20210325_213322.jpg

In 2021 The tree was attached to a tray.. and it became a second pot under the original as a lot of roots were escaping from under and beside the pot at that point and I was looking at more growth
20220124_234048.jpg

Under pot testing fitment without soil.
20220327_224642.jpg

The tree grew for another year, controlling the growth yes but when needed by letting the shoots grow freely to a point where back bud occur on that branch, after that step the main stem were pinched to promote tertiary branches development and the same technique was applied over again with the new tertiary developing.
After both new tertiary shoots were healthy the main steam was cut to keep only the two or more! tertiary branches.
This is also a good solution to reduce leaves size....more tertiary branching meaning more leaves they are naturally smaller.
In future, probably next year if it keep getting better and better tertiary ramification this tree will benefit a partial to total defoliation!

Tree in summer 2022:
31-08-22 (3).jpg

Canopy maturation and wiring... still have to practice alot but Im getting there! I want this tree to have a ¨natural¨ deciduous look with branches going slightly vertical-down-up at the tip.
This is the structure I will work with for the next years.
20230219_233012.jpg
20230219_232835.jpg
20230219_232817.jpg
20230219_232810.jpg
20230219_232805.jpg20230219_232800.jpg

And now in February 22 repotting time.
My main objectives were to remove some unaesthetic aerial roots for this design, get rid on the bigger roots still present in the root mass, tease the top slightly and work a little on the sides and bottom, the goal being able to keep original soil while working as much as possible under the tree and get the tree ready and up for the coming summer, I knew the tree would not skip a beat if I repot it now and will be ready for June,July,August.
The idea of root graft crossed my mind but the material was not fantastic and didn't worth the work, let it develop more.

In the root mass there is a big root that will need to be grinded at the next repot which will allow me to sit the tree slightly lower in the pot.
Please note that the pot used here is not what I'm looking for this tree....I want to use it to continue developing this tree and try to adjust pot size for its actual needs to the best of my knowledge.
I will need a good root mass for the next work as I will work directly under the tree and create literally a pocket under it, I'm still unsure if the cut left should be sealed or not but I'm not really happy to do this work on this tree it was what I can call a bad surprise! It looks like the 'tap' root continued to grow under the tree but in a semi circle, like a snake basically. Nothing really showing this in my pictures but the tree literally sit on that root,
Im now wondering if I should remove it step by step during future repots or a work like that can be all done at once if the rest of the root mass remain ''untouched'' to support the lost? (I know I asking this a few years in advance but who knows!)
I also don't know if the will be issues after leaving a big scar like this sealed or not under the trunk.. What will happen to the wood core after a few years? Decay?

Anyway here some bad pictures of before and after the repot I'm was having so much fun that I forgot to take picture of all the work I did on the root mass.... Well I'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it come to pictures I guess!

Nebari before
20230130_232000.jpg

After, Some corrections will be done later on
20230219_232948.jpg

Root mass after removing the under tray full of roots ... sorry I will really take pictures during the work next time!
20230206_135933.jpg

Tree in its new pot, with undesirable aerial roots removed. There will be work done on theses scars later on.
The rest of what left of the undesirable roots were left because the tree will fuse
20230206_212443.jpg

Hope you enjoy!
Ugo

Last edited:

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Thank you!
Its obviously a work in progress and there is also a lot of flaws in it so much that a lot of people would rebuild it completely or not even bother working on it
but for now I'm seeing theses flaws, that reflect all my errors and mishandling during years by the way, as scars proving my learning! This tree is full of it, full of history.
I'm now trying to make it look more beautiful, correcting the error of the past that gives me more experience as I continue to learn!
I'm glad you like it! Thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What terrific progress in just a couple of years, in Canada no less! I am liking your tree more and more all the time. And I am impressed by your thoughtful and deliberate work. Nice job!

Reactions: Ugo

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Nice job in a short amount of time.

Reactions: Ugo

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi

thank you guys, that really made my day.

This is really important to me, more then you think!
Bonsai has been my refuge since 2 years now as my parents passed away 1 year apart.
Having times on hand and toughs to evacuate lead me to improve my bonsai knowledge, tools and technique and getting more into the bonsai art even if for now I will qualify what I'm doing as bonsai oriented ¨horticulture¨ while studying design!
I'm really happy that more experienced members see an improvement!
But being honest I not re-inventing the wheel...but I'm using the best advises I can find and adapt it to my level of skill while making sure the tree can take it!
The idea given by @luvinthemountains about the right branch was great and give a whole new perspective with the canopy. It transformed the project! Thanks again
(That branch still need more work btw I had to remove the guy wire for repot and I will replace it after the tree is set in)

On a side note a lot of people where I live say that ficus are easy... easy to grow, they can handle basically anything, but have you seen the work on ficus in Thailand for example.. The Ficus there are absolutely exceptional, yes there location allow them to exploit all the good characteristics of the climate but aside from that, the trees they present have an exceptional amount of tertiary branches which automatically leads to smaller leaves. The result become incredible and pad formation is possible.
Where I live I basically never see a completely ramified ficus, aged with great tertiary ramification, most of the specimen even if old are still at the primary and secondary branching development with old second year leaves and no signs of future development ( Few exceptions here and there) but if ficus trees would be so easy to work as a bonsai there would be a ton of highly ramified specimens but where I live they are not common.

I'm trying to prove myself I can present a ¨good quality¨ tropical tree grown here in zone 5B, Bring something different so people can see what a Mallsai can become with knowledge, testing, luck and time!
The tree is from a conventional bonsai observation point not perfect but I want to improve the canopy further more, prove and improve my actual working techniques and it something I will have to work in conjunction with the coming repots, very exited to continue further work on this tree!

Anyway thank you again for encouraging me towards my goal!

To conclude here's some more pictures of the others sides of the tree, theses are also important because the tree was very unidimensional when viewed from the sides about a year ago.

Back
Back.jpg

Left Side
Left side (2).jpg

Details canopy left side
Canopy left side.jpg

Right side
Right side.jpg

Thanks again
Ugo

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi guys!

I think mid-summer is a perfect time for a quick update on this tree.

Nothing has been done since its repot in Febuary 23' except the application of guy wires.

The tree unfirtunately didnt bounce back as expected after the repot. This is totally my fault as I think the growing tent temperature was not high enough. My plan was to set the temp. At around 22degC with high himidity (80%) to help the tree after repotting.
I could see activity from the root system but not much growing on the canopy.
I think a few more Deg. Would have help but the tree is now strong with fresh growth everywhere.

For this year I will continue to monitor the devellopment of secondary/tertiary branching and if everything goes according to the plan this tree will be ready for a complete defoliation next year.

Front
20230719_102122.jpg

Left
20230719_102203.jpg

Back
20230719_102213.jpg

Right
20230719_102224.jpg

On its bench
20230719_102129.jpg

Thank you
Ugo