Ficus techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are these your roots, your secret agent source roots, or borrowed roots from someone else's post again?

Will

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
These are root spreads that belong to ficus that belong to me.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
OK, so where were we. Some of the ficus were grown from cuttings or layers. They too have a distinct root spoke. But this still is not the same 'look' I see in the tree from Siam. Just a little background info to help understand the secret from the West.

Attachments

• ficus 001.jpg#6.jpg
    ficus 001.jpg#6.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 45
  • ficus 004.jpg#7.jpg
    ficus 004.jpg#7.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 45
  • ficus 005.jpg#8.jpg
    ficus 005.jpg#8.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Do you know how they make bamboo grow square? They build a box frame and slide it down on the shoot when it is young and tender and as the bamboo grows skyward it is formed into the box and comes out square. I think this defice works on the same principle. Looks like torture to me.

Attachments

• DSC01040__600_x_450_.jpg
    DSC01040__600_x_450_.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC01042__600_x_450_.jpg
    DSC01042__600_x_450_.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 79

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
OK, sound the horns. This is what I was shown as the technique used to arrive at this. This Ficus Sp. is in Thailand or some place West of where we live. That is all I can tell you.

Attachments

• neb13.jpg
    neb13.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 50

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My guess is ...not over...inside.Especially since Kong mentioned square bamboo.

Quite interesting Kong.

Andy

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My guess is ...not over...inside.Especially since Kong mentioned square bamboo.

Quite interesting Kong.

Andy

This is very interesting indeed. Growing under a cone is something none of us ever heard, as far as I can remember. It seems incredibly inventive, but I am looking forward to reading about it here. Thanks Kong for sharing! The only thing more surprising than this technique is that you actually share this with some of us who show little or no appreciation for the advice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is very interesting indeed. Growing under a cone is something none of us ever heard, as far as I can remember.

True, I have never seen this in bonsai either. I have seen square water melons and other fruits grown in a box, circle, or other shape, but I have never seen that method used in bonsai before, this truly looks new and an excellent progrssion of existing techniques to the art of bonsai.

I wonder what the time frame is?

Will

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I wonder what the time frame is?"

for the tree?.....or for the rest of the story?

Andy

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
When Nut first posted this tree, I took notice with real interest for the first time of Ficus Microcarpa. There is an importer around the corner from me that gets them in sometimes. Very large and I really never pay much attention. They do not have this root spread that I can remember. So I went looking like a good bird dog and I was contacted by a person when I showed interest in this microcarpa (Siam tree) and after introducing myself to another person at the first person's rec, the story unfoldededed. So that is the low down. So the answer is yes, this is the picture that was shown to the secret agent.

Attachments

• neb13.jpg
    neb13.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 28

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forms.... sheesh. The ultimate cookie-cutter!

"Uh yeah, I'll take two # 648's and a #719... do those come in mame?"

Not my idea of bonsai nor "art"

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forms.... sheesh. The ultimate cookie-cutter!

"Uh yeah, I'll take two # 648's and a #719... do those come in mame?"

Not my idea of bonsai nor "art"

I don't think that it works that way, Mojosan. When one uses a cone to create the nebari that we see on those trees, the cone will not create a cookie cutter bonsai. It just stimulates the creation of a fused-root nebari. Just another tool, such as wiring, or carving. Wire does not create prefab bonsai, unless you wire each tree to the exact same shape. Each cone can be designed for one unique tree. I can easily imagine that you can use plastic cement and create a unique mold around the nebari of a tree. When the time comes that the mold needs to come off, you just break the cement and you have the new nebari exposed. This is just an example of how I imagine that it can be done, but hopefully, we will have a more clear understanding later on.

By the way, this phenomenon can happen in nature, where the roots of a tree grow in the crack of a cliff. The shape of the crack will act like a mold for the roots. In our case, we can design any shape we want, and destroy the mold after the tree is done.

Last edited:

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
So lets review some WH quotes to get us up to speed.
Dinner plate nebari seems too man made and distracts from image.

It seems to be a race to see who can create the most fused nebari.

So I ask WH "How do they do it?"

Similar to form they use for fusing seedlings together.....not sure where Will was going with this one

Close examination of some of these "dinner plate" nebari will reveal a cone shaped lower trunk which is mostly hollow inside.....Cone shaped and hollow?? Now I am worried. This sounds a little fishy.

So they grow the roots over a cone shaped form......Now WH is throwing everything but the kitchen sink to see what sticks. I am thinking we have a code red situation here. A critical combination of circumstances could only lead to a melt down as the WH core is being exposed.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
For those that are interested in the method, please visit Bonsai Talk. Pictures are posted there.
Have a nice day!

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Greg, Will you please lock this damm thread Now!!!!
Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom