Field grown Maple spring work question

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All.

As I’m getting my feet wet in bonsai, I’m trying to educate myself on what work can be done on field grown maples.

I have some trees that could stand some root work this spring - however they could also use some major top pruning (maybe a chop for one or two). (FYI - We’re almost to the point of bud growth/break - maybe 5-7 days).

What are the thoughts on performing both operations? Can I do them simultaneously? Or, should I wait for the pruning/chop? And, if I wait, can I prune this year (assuming good growth after root pruning) - or, should I wait until next year?

I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
Mike

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I grow hundreds of field grown trident maples and quite a few JM. All are severely root pruned to encourage better nebari and chopped back to bare trunks each winter. When the trunks are ready, I do another severe root prune and chop the tops back to trunk and maybe primary branches if there are any suitable then pot up ready for sale.
Most of those will then need primary branch wiring over summer and usually a couple of cut backs of new shoots. (trident and JM) Maples can manage with all this and still power away.

Conditions here are obviously different from Michigan but I have no hesitation to advise both root prune and top pruning for most maples in any one season.

Top Bottom