First Air Laying Attempt

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This was where I was thinking, but finding a safe place where it won't be over taxed has proven the hard part. Kinda in between weird up in the air situations right now. I know I'll want to cut if back some, but I'm not sure how much. I've never even seen this species in the wild before- they don't generally grow on this side of the mountains- so I'm really at a loss. I don't want to blow this one because the one tree I have access to is scheduled for eventual chopping.
I think it's hard to determine because we can't see any of the branch structures. there's one that I see that's too straight and my opinion is that it had to go. I don't know anything else maybe take more photos with the branching

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_20210430_165959_930.jpg
That shows a bit more of the overall structure, but still not a great shot. The angles for the other pics and this one all make it look either more horizontal or longer than the branch actually is. It's maybe about the feet at the very longest, and about two fingers thick where the girdle is. Smaller younger branch all along starting a few inches above the that. Some subtle but graceful curves. I'm thinking a slant to preserve the natural character.

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
it's still hard for me to determine anything. but the movement at the base looks good for me. however, I felt you need more roots to support your tree. with my air layering, I cut off when I feel like it has enough. I guess figure out how much you want and go from there.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
it's still hard for me to determine anything. but the movement at the base looks good for me. however, I felt you need more roots to support your tree. with my air layering, I cut off when I feel like it has enough. I guess figure out how much you want and go from there.
If I cut it just above that crook that's right above the girdle, I could probably take it now, I'm just not sure I'd keep the movement I want. If I could actually be there routinely, I'd probably have made a decission by now. LOL

Thanks for your thoughts, BTW. Greatly appreciated.

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If I cut it just above that crook that's right above the girdle, I could probably take it now, I'm just not sure I'd keep the movement I want. If I could actually be there routinely, I'd probably have made a decission by now. LOL

Thanks for your thoughts, BTW. Greatly appreciated.
lol no worries best of luck!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Separated the layer today. The tree has officially been targeted for extermination by the ditch rider, and there's only so much good weather left in the year.

Not near the amount of root I'd like, and a good amount seem to be dead at the ends (didn't get a pic of that, but should have), so I'm not holding my breath.

IMG_20211002_194637_143.jpg
Now that I step back and take a fresh look, that big branch bottom left is going. It's just to darn thick, and I'm not looking for a multiple trunk style.
May cut it back some more. But we'll see how it does over the next few days.
BTW, the rocks are to help hold it stable until the roots take, and it's in a combination of broken up brick, terracotta, lava rock and peet. Need to go out for Asian food again to get more chopsticks.

I really love this tree, so I kept a whole stack of cuttings.
IMG_20211002_194710_466.jpg
Have some older hardwood cuttings in damp paper towels in the fridge too.
The thing seems to root fairly easily, so with any luck I'll have a couple of them survive.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Saw some stress in the remaining foliage, and, thinking the roots might be over taxed, made an impulse care/style decision.
IMG_20211017_153251_906.jpg
Took the main trunk down to the next main branch. Eventually it'll make some great taper and movement.
Can't bring myself to remove any more foliage. But I didn't waste what I did cut. See the sprigs in the rocks? Went ahead and planted it as cuttings, along with these.
IMG_20211017_153303_960.jpg
I'm gonna get one of these damned trees one way or another, damnit.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are your average daily temps in the coming month? In my climate I've seen improved root growth on late air layer separations with extra bottom heat. Either seedling mats or those repitle heating cables.

I've been using sphaghum moss but it's also surprisingly hard to extract from the roots. I think next year I'll try pumice or another granular medium.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What are your average daily temps in the coming month? In my climate I've seen improved root growth on late air layer separations with extra bottom heat. Either seedling mats or those repitle heating cables.

I've been using sphaghum moss but it's also surprisingly hard to extract from the roots. I think next year I'll try pumice or another granular medium.
60s to 70s F still, with night time lows mostly in the 40s. Looking for warm place for the cuttings, but just moved and there's a dearth of efficient furnishings at the moment. I mostly just didn't want to let any of it go to waste without giving it a go of some sort.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So my first haphazard attempts to root any cuttings from this tree all failed. No decent soil, no rooting hormone, nowhere to keep them in a decent environment.
All that has been remedied.
IMG_20220209_211236_357.jpg
Eight hardwood cuttings I held over from cutting back after the separation. They could use better lighting and a heat mat for best results, but there's only so much my budget allows for.
Any of these or the original air layer make it through winter, I'll be starting a new thread just so I can find it easier.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A note so I don't forget, and for anyone who's interested in how these things grow.
These cuttings have been in cold storage since October, and there hasn't been even a hint of callusing. I don't think these grow at all when it's cold like many other deciduous do, though they retain their foliage. For winter I've treated the air layer essentially like a pine. Good sun exposure and the pot mulched to the top.

Ironically, that low straight branch I wanted to get rid of is the one that's not dried out and lost it's leaves since separating. Seems to be hanging in there so far.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, all my hardwood cuttings failed. Battled mold the entire time, and no signs of callusing when I pulled them from the soil. 😣

BUT...
IMG_20220419_082024_467.jpg
Buds are swelling on the original air layer!
I think it made it through winter!

Bark at the soil line has rotted some, so it stayed too wet. I pulled away the soil down to the burlap.
It still wobbles a bit in the pot if I take the rocks out, so I know it hasn't rooted much over winter. I want to repot it, though, to replace the soil.
Think I'll just be careful with the watering, and wait until another day.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well I waited and waited, but the buds never opened. A rather late spring snow certainly didn't help anything, but I finally cut into the bark the other day: no green. Pulled it from the pot, and there were no roots at all. Completely rotted. The soil mix was alright for summer heat, but over winter I doubt it dried out significantly at all.

Well, I guess that's it for this thread. If I'm lucky I might get some softwood cuttings from the parent tree later in summer, but I'm not counting on it.

Top Bottom