First Beginner Class - Willow Leaf Ficus

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This is my first complete hands on experience in bonsai. Hopefully there is room for some beginner pics here :) I know the branch selection isn't perfect but I'll eventually remove at least one existing lower branch, I just need to see where I get buds to determine what I want to keep. This was at The Flower Market in Monroe, MI. Highlights below, full set of pics and comments here:

http://imgur.com/a/IvPU6

Attachments

• LoPgfHvl.jpg
    LoPgfHvl.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 4MrzQDql.jpg
    4MrzQDql.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IuWs2bwl.jpg
    IuWs2bwl.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 79
  • vNrc4x8l.jpg
    vNrc4x8l.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 13oa0MOl.jpg
    13oa0MOl.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 66

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
And the final pics at home:

Attachments

• xsj1htHl.jpg
    xsj1htHl.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 53
  • 5LaPFESl.jpg
    5LaPFESl.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 63
  • e7ZkJ9Al.jpg
    e7ZkJ9Al.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice.

I hope you saved the root tubers. They can be planted and sprouts easily. :)

Critique. I am not a fan of horizontal (pine like) wiring on broad leaf tree branches.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At least you have a plant that could handle that much work at one time! You could remove most the wire on the main trunk as its not realy holding much. The wire giving the bend to your smaller branches is all that is needed. I always feel more comfortable leaving one leave on each branch though.

ed

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Critique. I am not a fan of horizontal (pine like) wiring on broad leaf tree branches.

I was under the impression that formal upright pine styling would have branches below the threshold of origin. Mine are horizontal or above, I don't think I placed any below. Either way, it's not exceptional. Working with the trunk I had I didn't see much else in the way of styling at the time.

At least you have a plant that could handle that much work at one time! You could remove most the wire on the main trunk as its not realy holding much. The wire giving the bend to your smaller branches is all that is needed. I always feel more comfortable leaving one leave on each branch though.

ed

The wire on the main trunk is just anchoring the wire for the wire for the branches. I was critiqued on another forum and told that it would have been better to wire two branches with one length of wire instead of anchoring them separately.

I did try to leave a few leaves but I knocked them off by the end. I spent a lot more time on it than most people did, I was the last person there by over a half hour. Started to feel rushed.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bobby, I usually just make one wrap of wire around the trunk for an anchor when needed. Most times on branches as small as those you just need to wrap the branch and bend the wire itself to get the shape you want in the branch.

ed

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes that was quite an amount of work in one sitting. It might not make it. It's ok if it doesn't just try again. They are durable species but this may have been too much. Keep it warm and don't overwater. My first thought when I saw all the roots cut off was- why are they dissecting it.

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
I would suggest going to bonsai boon web site and buy his wiring DVD it's easier to learn it with no bad habits then retrain yourself later. Some one told you on here one turn on the trunk, You need min of 1.5 turns to anchor and 2 turns is preferred. Like I said bonsai is wiring so to get good it the place to start.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would suggest going to bonsai boon web site and buy his wiring DVD it's easier to learn it with no bad habits then retrain yourself later. Some one told you on here one turn on the trunk, You need min of 1.5 turns to anchor and 2 turns is preferred. Like I said bonsai is wiring so to get good it the place to start.

Actually it all depends on the thickness of the wire, the thicker it is the less is required.

ed

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
Actually it all depends on the thickness of the wire, the thicker it is the less is required.

ed

Ok but how about teaching new people the standard and with experience allow them to deviate from there. I don't agree with one turn as an anchor but my teacher wouldn't allow sloppy wiring.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The wire on the main trunk is just anchoring the wire for the wire for the branches. I was critiqued on another forum and told that it would have been better to wire two branches with one length of wire instead of anchoring them separately.

For your first try this isnt that bad. You dont need to go buy a DVD to learn wiring. Any good bonsai book, or online tutorial will give you examples of how to do basic wiring the right way.

Here is a very basic wiring tutorial from bonsai4me.com which is a great resource.
http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Wiring.htm

More detailed tutorial:
http://www.bonsaiforbeginners.com/bonsai_wiring.html
http://www.bonsaiexperience.com/BonsaiStyle3.html

and another
http://www.bonsaiprimer.com/wiring/wiring.html

more
http://www.inlandbonsai.com/articles/wiring/wiring.pdf

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
For your first try this isnt that bad. You dont need to go buy a DVD to learn wiring. Any good bonsai book, or online tutorial will give you examples of how to do basic wiring the right way.

Here is a very basic wiring tutorial from bonsai4me.com which is a great resource.
http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Wiring.htm

More detailed tutorial:
http://www.bonsaiforbeginners.com/bonsai_wiring.html
http://www.bonsaiexperience.com/BonsaiStyle3.html

and another
http://www.bonsaiprimer.com/wiring/wiring.html

more
http://www.inlandbonsai.com/articles/wiring/wiring.pdf

Depends on what kind of learner you are dvd is better for hands on learners as it simulates live demo. Or a book learner. I got nothing from books with wiring . I train a lot people I always assume hands on learner as most people are. But if book gets you there awesome.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The willow leaf ficus is tough. You can actually do this much work to it all at once, and it will bounce back just fine. However, it needs a lot of sun, warmth, and humidity to bounce back nicely. It would have been better if you did this in the summer when you can put the tree outside in full sun. Next time you hard prune and defoliate the whole tree like this, wait for the summer. :D Even a metal halide lamp doesn't work as well as the real sun. Artificial light or sun light through a window (even the south facing one) won't penetrate the lower branches well enough for it to budback everywhere. So instead of getting 4 shoots coming out of one of those stumps, you'll just get 1 or 2. This will actually set you back on ramification.

Since it's already done, I would put it on a south facing window sill and spray water on it several times a day. Spidermites LOOOOVE willow leaf ficus. Spraying water on it will keep them at bay while at the same time provide good humidity for it. You can also add more humidity by putting the pot on a big tray full of pebbles and water.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with Aphid.

Willow leaf can take lots of abuse, you can chop it to 3" sections (branches and main roots) and most will probably survive...given the proper after care, and the main ingredient to that is warmth/heat.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
The willow leaf ficus is tough. You can actually do this much work to it all at once, and it will bounce back just fine. However, it needs a lot of sun, warmth, and humidity to bounce back nicely. It would have been better if you did this in the summer when you can put the tree outside in full sun. Next time you hard prune and defoliate the whole tree like this, wait for the summer. :D Even a metal halide lamp doesn't work as well as the real sun. Artificial light or sun light through a window (even the south facing one) won't penetrate the lower branches well enough for it to budback everywhere. So instead of getting 4 shoots coming out of one of those stumps, you'll just get 1 or 2. This will actually set you back on ramification.

Since it's already done, I would put it on a south facing window sill and spray water on it several times a day. Spidermites LOOOOVE willow leaf ficus. Spraying water on it will keep them at bay while at the same time provide good humidity for it. You can also add more humidity by putting the pot on a big tray full of pebbles and water.

Thanks. In the end I was just following the instruction of the class. I have now heard multiple people say that this extreme work should be done in summer but the class was based on heavy defoliation, pruning, and root reduction. I'll follow your advice on after care.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks. In the end I was just following the instruction of the class. I have now heard multiple people say that this extreme work should be done in summer but the class was based on heavy defoliation, pruning, and root reduction. I'll follow your advice on after care.

Makes me question the people holding the class. They know better. I guess they have to stay busy and need to spread the classes year round but that sucks to those who will end up with dead trees.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Makes me question the people holding the class. They know better. I guess they have to stay busy and need to spread the classes year round but that sucks to those who will end up with dead trees.

Correct, I believe the reason is because he holds deciduous classes in summer.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Depends on what kind of learner you are dvd is better for hands on learners as it simulates live demo. Or a book learner. I got nothing from books with wiring . I train a lot people I always assume hands on learner as most people are. But if book gets you there awesome.

I am an extremely hands on learner, and I learned about wiring from books and online and my wiring is not bad. There are also U-Tube videos on wiring that are free to view if that is what the OP is looking for, just Google "wiring a bonsai" or "bonsai wiring".

You DO NOT need to buy a DVD from anyone to learn wiring.

I have a problem with someone telling people that the only way to properly learn something is to buy my teachers product. Your teacher isnt the end all and be all of bonsai and not the only source for correct information though you might have been brainwashed to think so.

Last edited:

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
...Most times on branches as small as those you just need to wrap the branch and bend the wire itself to get the shape you want in the branch.

ed

This will work as long as the branch is already in the position that you want it in relative to the trunk. If you want to change that angle or put some movement in it close to the trunk (which is often the case with a first styling), then you'll need to anchor the branch to the trunk and/or another branch.

Top Bottom