First collected tree

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How often should I cut the upper branches back?

Current plan is to keep it at the current height. Focus is on trying to get the base a bit wider, but not crazy- just enough to show taper.

top I want to be lessthan 6 inches above the top chop.
I want branches coming from the outside of curves.

I want thicker lower branches, and want all foliage appropriately close to the truck.

basically, my goal for this tree is to create a “yamadori basic bitch”

I figured that info might help with advice

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Basic bitch is growing like she gets Starbucks daily and I have yet to put any fertilizer...
I just saw my last pic and realized I didn’t take one tonight, she is way way bigger, I cut her back tonight again

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When collected I left the roots alone as much as possible. I left the soil also. I did not repot this year thinking it would do better being left to gain strength before I dived into the roots. I noticed the drainage is not great. After I water the soil 2 inches down is dry-ish. I have soil available or can make some with better drainage now.

My question is should I just leave the soil alone since it is already leafed out or should I try to repot. I think this soil will slow down root development and if the tree will tolerate it I would prefer to repot now. I don't want to repot if it will risk the life of the tree.

Any thoughts or advice?

I should have done more with the roots at collection and introduced a better soil at the initial repot, I didn't. What are my options now?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For deciduous trees, when I collect I usually bare root them. No sense in putting off the necessary change out of field soil for bonsai mix. I usually collect in an area with sandy soil, so bare rooting almost happens whether you want to or not. But even when I collect in a clay soil, I try not to carry over too much of the field soil.

I have not collected many conifers at all. Some urban landscape junipers, but that is about it.

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For deciduous trees, when I collect I usually bare root them. No sense in putting off the necessary change out of field soil for bonsai mix. I usually collect in an area with sandy soil, so bare rooting almost happens whether you want to or not. But even when I collect in a clay soil, I try not to carry over too much of the field soil.

I have not collected many conifers at all. Some urban landscape junipers, but that is about it.

I think I should have done a bare root. I tried to keep the original soil simply because it was my first collection and my goal was for the tree not even to know I moved it. This spring I will repot the tree and bareroot for sure, Was just trying to decide if it was too late to do it this year.

Do you think it is safe to bareroot it now? I have the material and could report on weds/thursday- I think it may be too late as we are already starting to get hot weather, but I wasn't sure.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think I should have done a bare root. I tried to keep the original soil simply because it was my first collection and my goal was for the tree not even to know I moved it. This spring I will repot the tree and bareroot for sure, Was just trying to decide if it was too late to do it this year.

Do you think it is safe to bareroot it now? I have the material and could report on weds/thursday- I think it may be too late as we are already starting to get hot weather, but I wasn't sure.

You are in Texas, your summers are BRUTAL. I would not touch the roots now that the tree is leafed out. Too late. If water is not penetrating the soil, take a pointed chopstick, and poke holes all the way to the bottom of the pot, all around. Holes half inch apart, whole surface of the pot. Take extra care to really wet the soil. A saying my first bonsai teacher pounded into me, "water the tree 3 times, once for the leaves, once for the roots & once for the pot". She wanted me to water, then let drain 5 or 10 minutes, then flood the tree with water again, drain 5 or 10 minutes then flood the tree the third time. Pain in the arse, if you are in a hurry, but technique really makes certain you have no dry pockets in the pot.

So just stab a few holes in your mix to get better water penetration and limp the tree through until it is safe to repot again. I do not live in Dallas, but I suspect fall repotting, after the heat of summer has passed is possible, as your winters are relatively mild. Or, just repeat the poking holes as needed, until the ideal repotting time in late winter, early spring BEFORE the buds open.

You can then do your bare root and wash out the clay in the spring repot without concern.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Here we are again ;-) STOP FUTZING with the tree. Let it alone. Do not repot while in leaf (believe me, you will regret it. I've done the same out of necessity to collect a couple of these out of season --like in april...all of those trees died)...What's done is done. Trying to change the soil at this point could be done, but it could also end badly. If you want to keep this tree around don't bare root it out of season. The time to think about that was probably in mid-February. Even my cedar elm here in Va. is well on its way, I've had to cut back the first foot long extension growth on the branches already....

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sounds good. It helps having people with experience offer advice, thank yall. Yes, summers here are rough....very rough. I'm trying to build an automatic watering system but haven't had the time yet. Until then I have me and my wife watering.
Ok Rockm Ill stop futzing. but its futzing hard. I can let her sit though

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That low branch I’m trying to thicken

Attachments

• 8DDD1BAC-B88A-403D-B19A-FE1D050342B7.jpeg
    8DDD1BAC-B88A-403D-B19A-FE1D050342B7.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 75
  • B198B3FF-8D47-4BBB-BDE8-6FAC4ED98787.jpeg
    B198B3FF-8D47-4BBB-BDE8-6FAC4ED98787.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 89

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
This looks like a great first collected tree...
Good trunk, nice bark, shoots where you need them
and vigorous growth.
Well done :cool:

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
755ED7E2-6085-4C25-865A-65FFC95774A0.jpeg
I’d love to say I refused y’all advice and defoliate the tree...
I wasn’t able to water for 3-4 days in the heat due to summer, when I got to her the leaves were brittle and fell off.
Have been watering well past few days now.
This is the ghetto of bonsai- if you make it through you will be beautiful.
I won’t abandon you again

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What are you trying to acheive with defoliating this tree? In other words, what is in your view the reason why people defoliate the tree?

If I understood it correctly, he did not defoliate on purpose. There was an unintended drought, that wilted all the leaves to the point of crispy. All the leaves died.

This tree may or may not recover. I've had a pomegranate come back nicely from a similar drought. I've had hornbeam drop stone cold dead from a 4 day drought. RNbonsai will see what happens. It might come back. Might not.

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What are you trying to acheive with defoliating this tree? In other words, what is in your view the reason why people defoliate the tree?
Oh it was a joke, I didn’t defoliate the tree....I didn’t water it for 3 days And when I got back to her the leafs were crispy and came off to water or when I touched em.

I had no intention to defoliate

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I believe people defoliate quite often because it’s the cool thing pros do.
I think the correct reason is to increase ramification and rebalance overgrown branches

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This tree has made it through an intense, violent dig, a brutal chop by saw and has grown very strong every time it gets a shot. It is a very vigorous local tree that beats the crazy weather here.
Im hoping It can bust through the recent thought times on the bench and return with vigor.

this is the water setup my wife made today. Not exactly a drip hose but you gotta hug the situation and maximize the material.

Attachments

• 1924A722-73C6-4C57-AC71-6F7E1E9DEB0F.jpeg
    1924A722-73C6-4C57-AC71-6F7E1E9DEB0F.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 61

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This tree has made it through an intense, violent dig, a brutal chop by saw and has grown very strong every time it gets a shot. It is a very vigorous local tree that beats the crazy weather here.
Im hoping It can bust through the recent thought times on the bench and return with vigor.

this is the water setup my wife made today. Not exactly a drip hose but you gotta hug the situation and maximize the material.

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oh no.....
Watering today i saw ants on it. I didn’t see em yesterday so maybe I’m early enough but i had those little bastards kill a tree of mine in the past. This poor tree

Top Bottom