First post (not a bonsai...yet) Silver maple

PsillyRabbit

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So this is not in a dish, or a container at all for that matter. After a decade+ of training I would crack the cement and take it with me if/when I move.
I know its not even close to a bonsai but figured you would be the people to enjoy it. The leaves still come out at a normal size. But I defoliate it many times a year only leaving the smaller underdeveloped leaves to add to the bonsai effect. That is the only "trimming" done. Other than that I have tried very hard to not break a single brach. Just to wrap/braid it in. At 10 years a silver maple should be a foundation eating monster.

Attachments

• maple.mp4
    16.8 MB
  • maple.jpeg
    maple.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 64
  • m1.jpeg
    m1.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 61
  • m2.jpeg
    m2.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 62
  • md.jpeg
    md.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Reminds me of a long length of rope that I pulled apart in the wrong place and managed to get it all tangled and knotted up.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Twists are for Kids!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

PsillyRabbit

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Twists are for kids ha, Arn't you the clever one. Thanks for the welcome.
First pic is a video. Is it showing up for you all?

Last edited:

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The video does work. So do you intend for this to become a bonsai some day? If so, you'll likely have to chop off at least 90-95% of those tangled branches to start building trunk taper and primary branching, etc.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, please update your profile with location information. It helps us help you.

PsillyRabbit

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It was never my intention for this to be a bonsai. I guess the title suggest that- but if it's ever moved it would probably be transplanted back into the ground. Or a large container.
Maybe this would be considered a "circus" tree? I just thought that this community would appreciate the time put in to the training. Theres no way I could chop this one at this point. I will update my profile and share some of my other projects soon.

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was never my intention for this to be a bonsai. I guess the title suggest that- but if it's ever moved it would probably be transplanted back into the ground. Or a large container.
Maybe this would be considered a "circus" tree? I just thought that this community would appreciate the time put in to the training. Theres no way I could chop this one at this point. I will update my profile and share some of my other projects soon.
I don't see why anyone would suggest to cut all the work you put in on that tree., I think it's really cool.. and I would pot it up because it's too weird and different to not keep.. I have several silver maple trees and red maple that I'm developing and I feel they can be really good subjects. They are different not a Japanese maple but they grow much better around where I live.. I hope I live long enough to make some people younger than me that they are worthy subjects.

Top Bottom