First Tree of the Year, 2020 Edition

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got three new trees from Thread Nursery here in Knoxville. They currently have 50% off bonsai for this in the area.

First two are junipers I believe. I'll post these separately in an identification thread just to make sure I have the right varieties.

The third is, I believe, a Japanese Holly (could be very wrong).

There is also a bonus sprout in the second picture that I'm not sure about. Maybe an evergreen or weed.

Grand total $4.85.

Attachments

• 20200106_124203.jpg
    20200106_124203.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 20200106_124212.jpg
    20200106_124212.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 20200106_124150.jpg
    20200106_124150.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 110

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m refrain until the end of Feb for my next purchase

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m refrain until the end of Feb for my next purchase

I would completely agree if I were not as constrained, financially, as I am. I have found some really good deals from the middle of November until now (which will extend until the beginning of February by what the nurseries have said that I have talked to). I grabbed a Juniperus Horizontialis, Juniperus Virginiana Grey Owl (I know, but I'm gonna give it a try), Ficus, two umbrella trees, the three I just posted, and a bald cypress for way less than sticker price. If my back-of-the-envelope calculations are correct, I have spend $42 on the listed trees and they seem to be doing well so far, understanding that they haven't come out of winter dormancy and I haven't gone into repotting season yet.

I'm not yucking your yum, I just want to evangelize the joy of winter time deals. I guess I get a warm feeling from picking up what the nurseries are gonna throw in the dumpster.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just bought this one. Delivery at The Trophy. I already used my entire budget for 2020 :p

View attachment 277576

What is that beauty? I won't ask the price tag but I would guess its past my price tag 😍.

On that note, what is your plan for dominant forward branch (pointing up, picture below)? I don't even have the first clue on how to fold that into the overall design.

Attachments

• what.jpg
    what.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 105

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yardadori dwarf ground cover rose with pink flowers. It s planted upright, but I like it as a slant better.

Attachments

• 74825327-643F-45BC-A10A-2E3A054728D4.jpeg
    74825327-643F-45BC-A10A-2E3A054728D4.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 76
  • 4724E7F4-11D4-47D7-B7BA-9B58E75F29E2.jpeg
    4724E7F4-11D4-47D7-B7BA-9B58E75F29E2.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 7D73B4E3-2609-4AF3-809C-10F7379745A5.jpeg
    7D73B4E3-2609-4AF3-809C-10F7379745A5.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 53
  • EB8F91B4-AA2F-4757-81E4-0192E4189513.png
    EB8F91B4-AA2F-4757-81E4-0192E4189513.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 75

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yardadori dwarf ground cover rose with pink flowers. It s planted upright, but I like it as a slant better.

I'm so glad you posted this. My mom is about to throw out her dwarf rose and I had no idea that it could develop like that. I will be collecting 😌.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
On that note, what is your plan for dominant forward branch (pointing up, picture below)? I don't even have the first clue on how to fold that into the overall design.
Not sure yet, will probably be reduced a lot.
It's a Prunus Mahaleb.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure yet, will probably be reduced a lot.
It's a Prunus Mahaleb.

I was just wondering about specifics. Basically I want you to tell me everything before you have decided yourself 😆. Sorry, I get jumpy this time of year. I can feel my soil hand itching.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would completely agree if I were not as constrained, financially, as I am. I have found some really good deals from the middle of November until now (which will extend until the beginning of February by what the nurseries have said that I have talked to). I grabbed a Juniperus Horizontialis, Juniperus Virginiana Grey Owl (I know, but I'm gonna give it a try), Ficus, two umbrella trees, the three I just posted, and a bald cypress for way less than sticker price. If my back-of-the-envelope calculations are correct, I have spend $42 on the listed trees and they seem to be doing well so far, understanding that they haven't come out of winter dormancy and I haven't gone into repotting season yet.

I'm not yucking your yum, I just want to evangelize the joy of winter time deals. I guess I get a warm feeling from picking up what the nurseries are gonna throw in the dumpster.
I’m not knocking you for doing what you’re doing. I’ve done the same thing. But then one day I attended a workshop. After doing some research, and struggling with patience, I realized for the price of 10 clearance rack trees that will probably be nothing, I can buy something that’s a little further along in becoming a bonsai. I’m not exactly rolling in the dough myself. I’ve saved a little bit and picked up some trees with hopefully a decent future. I’ve also held back from buying trees to attend workshops and study groups. That’s been a huge difference for me.

Last edited:

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, I see you’re in Knoxville. In June there is a show in Asheville North Carolina. I have the date written down somewhere. I don’t know how far you are from there, if you get a chance and can save up some money, hit that. I picked up a nice Japanese black pine there for $135, young Kishu and Itoigawa junipers for $25-$35 and a couple other things for good prices.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m not knocking you for doing what you’re doing. I’ve done the same thing. But then one day I attended a workshop. After doing some research, and struggling with patience, I realized for the price of 10 clearance rack trees that will probably be nothing, I can buy something that’s a little further along in becoming a bonsai. I’m not exactly rolling in the dough myself. I’ve saved a little bit and picked up some trees with hopefully a decent future. I’ve also held back from buying trees to attend workshops and study groups. That’s been a huge difference for me.

I didn't take it as a knock and I was not trying to undermine the logic of saving for a good purchase. I completely agree with searching for the best stock, weighing options, and buying what is the best price/quality balance (or quality if you have the cash). I was just saying that for my stage (I'm in my late 20s with plenty of time left to develop bonsai and then find good stock when available), buying a few little trees for pennies on the dollar is a good choice if you have the space and patience. Probably something i should have expounded on further.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also, I see you’re in Knoxville. In June there is a show in Asheville North Carolina. I have the date written down somewhere. I don’t know how far you are from there, if you get a chance and can save up some money, hit that. I picked up a nice Japanese black pine there for $135, young Kishu and Itoigawa junipers for $25-$35 and a couple other things for good prices.

I plan on going, it'll be my first year actually going to a bonsai show which I am really excited for. Not to mention the other TN shows that are coming up.

On a separate note, are there any good shows in OH? I grew up in Dayton and spent a lot of time in Columbus (I still come back home a few times a year) and I would love to see some Midwest, bonsai love.

Top Bottom