First winter with bonsai- am I doing things right?

Gatorade

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello to all! I live in Fort Worth Texas and this is My first winter with bonsai or any plant really. I have mostly tropical trees as well. just wondering if it’s okay to move them back and forth from outside to inside as needed for nights when it’s gets below 40 of is i should be keeping them indoors for rest of winter? I have purchased a greenhouse that I have set up indoors (very sunny room) at the moment that I moved my tropical trees into the other night when it got down to about freezing. But today it’s like 71 here, could I move them back outside or is this bad for them? I also have a bald Cyprus’s and Texas cedar elm that I am keeping outside and will just cover when it gets super cold. I think that’s correct? also Once moved inside I should be waterline and fertilizing less right? Thought I read something that you should water more somewhere but that seems odd so let me know please. Just really want to make it through this first winter without killing anything. please any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• F8B7F70E-769E-4E90-B1AE-5DB80F690730.jpeg
    F8B7F70E-769E-4E90-B1AE-5DB80F690730.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 3C7962E4-41E8-462D-9FE0-FDE17BEC2062.jpeg
    3C7962E4-41E8-462D-9FE0-FDE17BEC2062.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 60
  • D6AA78E6-8EEB-410A-8A8D-C4864E4ADCF0.jpeg
    D6AA78E6-8EEB-410A-8A8D-C4864E4ADCF0.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 129FE42B-897B-4EF1-BB6E-473D869A6C9B.jpeg
    129FE42B-897B-4EF1-BB6E-473D869A6C9B.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 67

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The main reason to move tropicals outdoors for the day during winter is light. It won't hurt and probably will help. It does get tiresome!

Your indoor greenhouse will be good for increasing humidity but it will decrease light at lot, no matter if the room is sunny. My guess is that the increased humidity will not compensate for the decreased light. If you put some good grow lights in it, then you would have both.

Water your tropicals when they need it, which will probably be less often than when they were outside for the summer. The need for water and fertilzer is largely driven by light. The more light they get, the more likely they will continue to grow. Growing trees need more water and fertilizer. My tropicals get poor light during the winter indoors, and grow very little. I rarely fertilize them during the winter.

For your outdoor trees, cedar elm and bald cypress are fully cold hardy here and will not need any protection, unless we have another freakish late winter polar vortex event this year. The most protection people usually give is putting the pot on the ground and piling some mulch around it.

Gatorade

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you so much for this info especially with you being close by in Dallas. It is very helpful.

I don’t mind running the trees in and out so I will go ahead and do that on warmer days. I did have my greenhouse outside but even with it being weighed down it scared me on windy days, almost got taken off the balcony. Which Is a shame because I think I would prefer it outside. Might try again and secure it better. I was thinking about indoor lights. Is there one your using or you would recommend?

Thanks again. I know if I can get through this first winter with bonsai it will give me good confidence onward And bonsai trees aren’t cheap lol. I can do this!!!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I guess I don't really understand the need for a greenhouse inside. I have lots of tropicals inside. They do well with some natural light and grow lights, a fan and a humidifier. (the humidifier keeps my hair from getting frizzy ;)).

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
LOL, my trees need indoor lights but I don't have any. There has been lots of discussion about grow lights here, some of it very technical. But even something as simple as an inexpensive LED shoplight can make a lot of difference. Get a light with a color temperature (Kelvin, K) of about 6,500 K. This will be called "daylight" or "cool white", but look for the K number to be certain. And put it as close to the trees as you can without damaging the leaves with heat. LEDs are cooler and more efficient than anything else, and are preferred for this reason.

I haven't been in touch with the Fort Worth Bonsai Society for a long time, but it is an active club with many accomplished members. https://fortworthbonsai.org/home.php

You have the beginnings of some nice trees!

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I made a redneck greenhouse to keep my outdoor tropicals warm....it's 12/15 and 80deg F outside...my alocasias and philodendrons are loving it though!

Attachments

• 20211215_105557.jpg
    20211215_105557.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211215_105607.jpg
    20211215_105607.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 31
Top Bottom