Fish Stories

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
While I'm certainly no pro, I do love to fish- especially ocean fishing. We left this past wednesday for a really chill vacation at Holden beach [NC]. Of course I fished as much as possible, but being the noob I am, I didnt have the greatest luck. Caught a couple small black drum, a blue, and a trout. My oldest brother caught a houndfish, which was interesting. Ive never heard of those until he caught one. It was probably out of the water too long, and sadly I dont think it made it. I held it in the water for a solid minute but he was limp and didnt move :(

Anyone have any general tips for surf fishing? Specifically for blues and drum?

I prefer the taste of flounder so usually thats what I go for (live bait is best IME), but blues and such are much more fun to catch... So I want to target them now

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
While I'm certainly no pro, I do love to fish- especially ocean fishing. We left this past wednesday for a really chill vacation at Holden beach [NC]. Of course I fished as much as possible, but being the noob I am, I didnt have the greatest luck. Caught a couple small black drum, a blue, and a trout. My oldest brother caught a houndfish, which was interesting. Ive never heard of those until he caught one. It was probably out of the water too long, and sadly I dont think it made it. I held it in the water for a solid minute but he was limp and didnt move :(

Anyone have any general tips for surf fishing? Specifically for blues and drum?

I prefer the taste of flounder so usually thats what I go for (live bait is best IME), but blues and such are much more fun to catch... So I want to target them now
I've done a decent amount of surf fishing where I love. Here in SoCal we use a rig called the Carolina rig which is great for the sand bars and waves. When targeting California halibut which is similar to flounder people like to use LC lures. They'really expensive and run about $20 a lure so make sure you use the appropriate pound test and don't cast into kelp beds. A cheaper option that still works decent are krocodile lures. I use 8 lb test for my main line with 6 lb test fluorocarbon leaders. Generally 6-10 lb test will work but the lower the better. Just make sure your drag is set appropriately so you don't snap your line. Your best bet is to post on a local fishing forum or ask people in your area what they use. After all I'm fishing in the Pacific and you're fishing in the Atlantic so gear and technique may vary.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I've done a decent amount of surf fishing where I love. Here in SoCal we use a rig called the Carolina rig which is great for the sand bars and waves. When targeting California halibut which is similar to flounder people like to use LC lures. They'really expensive and run about $20 a lure so make sure you use the appropriate pound test and don't cast into kelp beds. A cheaper option that still works decent are krocodile lures. I use 8 lb test for my main line with 6 lb test fluorocarbon leaders. Generally 6-10 lb test will work but the lower the better. Just make sure your drag is set appropriately so you don't snap your line. Your best bet is to post on a local fishing forum or ask people in your area what they use. After all I'm fishing in the Pacific and you're fishing in the Atlantic so gear and technique may vary.
Dang phone auto correct, *where I live.

Live bait generally will always work well but its needlessly messy. Do some local research to find what synthetics the locals use. Another synthetic that I have success with popular with anyone who fishes the southern california surf is the Berkely Gulp sandworks, aka "crack" which is what people call it over here.

There is a lot of structure in the sandbars hidden by the waves. Generally you want to cast into these structures where fish my seek refuge from the waves and feed. Riptides are good to cast into if you can spot them. Look for areas of "calm" water in the waves. They can be identified as sections of the surf with no foam or bubbles relative to the water around it. Good holes can be deep and by consistently casting into them your success rate will be a lot higher.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The people at the tackle shop were very helpful, and they too suggested the Carolina rig. I use the CR for freshwater fishing but I'm sure theyre not the same.

For synthetic flounder bait, he gave us a few things on the last day of fishing that he said works very well for him but the only thing we caught was a puffer. The water was much calmer that day, and a cold front was blowing in (cloudy too) so Im not sure why we had no luck.

Why do you say live bait is messy? When I say live bait, I mean mud minnows in a foam bucket. Hooked through lips/mouth...

I caught the blue on chopped finger mullet- THAT is messy.

I have to look into those lures after class, thanks.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. I use 8 lb test for my main line
Everyone tried braid? 30lb.test is the same diameter as 8lb.monofilament.
Farther casting,better feel and way strong. It is on most of my reels. I use a 12lb.test fluorocarbon leader for finesse fishing.
Then the rest of my tackle has 65lb.test.
Nothing gets away.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Everyone tried braid? 30lb.test is the same diameter as 8lb.monofilament.
Farther casting,better feel and way strong. It is on most of my reels. I use a 12lb.test fluorocarbon leader for finesse fishing.
Then the rest of my tackle has 65lb.test.
Nothing gets away.
Thanks for reminding me, I actually do use braid. 30 lb test on my surf fishing reels. There are some fish that will actually see the braid though so leaders are a must.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
There's something exciting though catching a huge fish on only 6 lb test. A few years back I got a bat ray on my light surf fishing rig. Had to battle that thing for over an hour and pretty much had it right at the edge of the surf. Couldn't bring it above the sand bars without water though and my line snapped.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
The people at the tackle shop were very helpful, and they too suggested the Carolina rig. I use the CR for freshwater fishing but I'm sure theyre not the same.

For synthetic flounder bait, he gave us a few things on the last day of fishing that he said works very well for him but the only thing we caught was a puffer. The water was much calmer that day, and a cold front was blowing in (cloudy too) so Im not sure why we had no luck.

Why do you say live bait is messy? When I say live bait, I mean mud minnows in a foam bucket. Hooked through lips/mouth...

I caught the blue on chopped finger mullet- THAT is messy.

I have to look into those lures after class, thanks.
Eh I mean they can smell and that crap can stick to your clothes. Good use of synthetic baits can work just as well and be reusable with less mess.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Its been nearly 2 year since I surfed fish since I've become busy with college and other hobbies but I found a picture of my rig:
20140821_140821_resized_zps72d89bee.jpg

I believe my rod is a salmon/steelhead type fishing rod. Medium-light action if I recall, phenix trifecta. Great rod, stiff enough for good casting but still plenty sensitive at the tip. My reel is a 3000 capacity saltwater reel with 8lb braid on it currently. If I use expensive lures I will tie directly to the braid. Otherwise I use a leader. How big are the fish you usually target?

A rig like mine is pretty much good for anything in the surf short of large rays, sharks, guitar fish, and other big'uns.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A rig like mine is pretty much good for anything in the surf short of large rays, sharks, guitar fish, and other big'uns
That's what I use for finesse fishing. Except mine are medium action.
The size of the fish I target are only from 2lb.to if I'm lucky 7lb. bass. Smallmouth and Largemouth bass.
The only time I lose lures is if pike eat them. The teeth go right through monofilament and fluorocarbon line.
I tie direct to braid for fishing in heavy lily pads or skipping lures under docks.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Like I said, nothing big- large flounders at the biggest. BUT now I'd like to start going for blues and drum, so some bigger game...

Thinking about purchasing a new rod/reel too... Maybe Shimano or Abu Garcia?

I'm used to spinning reels but am debating getting a AG baitcasting reel... Anyone have suggestions there?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Like I said, nothing big- large flounders at the biggest. BUT now I'd like to start going for blues and drum, so some bigger game...

I'm used to spinning reels but am debating getting a AG baitcasting reel... Anyone have suggestions there?
Baitcasting is better for larger rods if you going to be throwing heavy bait. Spinning is better for medium to light use.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score

If you can I think one light rig like what I posted will be good for the majority of your fishing. Build a second rig to handle big fish. If you do target larger fish I think baitcasting reels are better. I built a rig for catching sharks a few years ago and trying to cast 4 oz+ weights or bait sucked on a spinning reel.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ah okay, that makes sense.

My 'light'-'medium' rod is basic but I like it, its a shakespeare ugly stik gx2. Not particularly for surf fishing though. Thats why I was thinking about a baitcaster so I have a bigger setup.

Probably going to stick with a medium size rod with a spinner though

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Ah okay, that makes sense.

My 'light'-'medium' rod is basic but I like it, its a shakespeare ugly stik gx2. Not particularly for surf fishing though. Thats why I was thinking about a baitcaster so I have a bigger setup.

Probably going to stick with a medium size rod with a spinner though
Yeah ugly sticks get the job done but aren't the best in terms of quality and action. You probably want to go for something in the medium weight range. Pick the rod based off the weights you will typically use. I usually use 1/2 oz - 3/4 oz egg sinkers for the carolina rig and occasionally 1 oz pyramid sinkers for a different rig and rough conditions. I believe my rod is 9 feet long and rated from 1/4-3/4 oz? See what the locals use in your area then pick a rod based off that. There are tons a good mid range spinners priced well. No need for a super high end spinner. I know some people just use cheap shimano spinners and since it sees so much wear and sand by the surf they just replace it every year. If you get a nicer reel be sure to wash and clean it after contact with saltwater and sand.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
plrivqoEj

pnQpnZNij

Just finished up this 10' 2wt fly rod for a customer yesterday and had to share this one because of the color. First time I have used this exact color blank which is somewhat of a brandy-wine color and I just love the way this color looks. Added a thin single turn of metallic golf trim next to the garnet wraps and really like the classy overall look it has.

Top Bottom