Flat or Mound

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Why are some bonsai potted so that the soil level is flat while others are in a mound?

1557921571075.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Much depends on individual preferences.
I though the trees looked better when the soil in the pot was mounded up but had a visiting Japanese master tell me that was not acceptable and the nebari should be only just above the pot rim. He is the only one to have said that so it may also be individual preference in Japanese bonsai circles or how one was taught.
There are some who say that soil slightly below pot rim can help with watering but I seem to be able to manage with soil flush to the pot rim.
Occasionally how you plant will depend on the roots. If it is not possible to reduce the root depth enough there's no choice but to mound the soil a bit (or find a deeper pot)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It’s ok to mound semi-cascades and literati styles to suggest the mountains, or pocket of soil in which the tree is growing. The mounding also compliments/mirrors the shape of the pot, continuing the rounded profile to soften what would otherwise be an abrupt leveled-off surface.

Your mounded example is also a Shohin tree, which sometimes needs just a bit more soil than the appropriate size pot may hold.

Other styles, like the pine in your first example, really should have flat soil lines, even with, or just below the rim of the pot.

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Doesn't the water run off with a mound?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Water does run off mounds. I think that's why most practitioners leave a small trench just before the rim of the pot, so water doesn't flow over the rim but instead sinks into the soil.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Watering appears simple but can be quite complex. It is more difficult to water a mounded surface properly and many newer bonsai addicts come unstuck here. It is possible to water effectively so that water will penetrate properly even when the soil is mounded and level with the rim of the pot.

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
How do you stop soil from washing away when watering a mounted surface?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Water very gently.
Some sort of mulch - stone or moss - also helps to keep the soil in place a bit better.
Sometimes it is just a case of keep adding soil back as it washes down, at least until the roots of the tree take hold.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hell, with vigorous root growers, your soil might start below the rim and end up higher and start washing out...

Just ask my sorbus americana... I'm going to have to put sphagnum on top soon or something.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You pot your trees any way you want. It takes some extra effort to train the roots to be wider instead of deep which then requires a wider pot. Some people make the choice to have the tree in a pot that is as small of a diameter as possible and sacrifice one to have the other. We all make choices.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brian Van Fleet is correct.

In bonsai, the answer to every question is “It depends”. But typically, the soil should be level in the pot, just under the rim. Not mounded. With moss added, that puts the moss level with the rim.

Notable exceptions are cascades and semi-cascades, Shohin, and bonsai planted on slabs.

Even on Shohin, it’s possible to have level soil:

image.jpg

Do a google search on “Kimura bonsai”, then click “Images”, and scroll thru his trees. The vast majority of trees in pots will have level soil.

Anyone who tells you “Oh, it’s ok, just do what YOU like...” isn’t teaching you good practices . Sure, it’s more difficult to create a proper rootball to fit into a bonsai pot. Bonsai as an art is a challenge. It’s details like this that separate the good bonsai from the mediocre bonsai.

Top Bottom