Flat Top Bald Cypress

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Can’t say for sure, but @VAFisher gets a lot of his material as Pre-Bonsai from @Zach Smith . His website is linked at the bottom of his posts. He’s got great material available and would probably be a better purchase than basic nursery stock.
+1 for Zach. I have several trees from him. He's also awesome at offering advice/help with any issues that you may have with your trees.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, this was a collected pre-bonsai from Zach - not nursery stock.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Update on my bald cypress. It got a new pot this year which I really love, but may be a little too big. I chose between this one and one that was about an inch smaller in diameter and I chose the bigger one. Maybe I'm just not used to it quite yet.

I did away with some branches in the crown that I felt were taking away from the flat top effect. Also, last year I removed that lowest left branch, but it's growing back this year, so I guess I'll develop it and see how it looks. All in all, I think it's coming along.

20210528_124103.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At a lower angle, the pot doesn't appear as big and the crown doesn't appear nearly as flat. This tree is hard to get a good photo of. 2d doesn't do the flat top effect any favors.

20210528_130250.jpg
20210528_130302.jpg

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dan, this tree is coming along nicely. I can't help but notice in the above photo that the three apical leaders are perfectly spaced apart. You may need to turn the tree slightly to mitigate the effect; it would be easier than trying to reposition one of them, that's for sure.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dan, this tree is coming along nicely. I can't help but notice in the above photo that the three apical leaders are perfectly spaced apart. You may need to turn the tree slightly to mitigate the effect; it would be easier than trying to reposition one of them, that's for sure.

Thanks Zach. Your point is well taken. That's the good thing about a round pot I guess. Many viewing angles.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm also curious about thoughts on lower branches. The flat top form is supposed to represent a really old tree that has lost most of the lower branches and spread out up top. Am I headed for too many? Or is 3 - 4 OK?

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm also curious about thoughts on lower branches. The flat top form is supposed to represent a really old tree that has lost most of the lower branches and spread out up top. Am I headed for too many? Or is 3 - 4 OK?
I don't think the number you have is bad. Just make sure they don't get overgrown (meaning overlong). They should present the appearance of struggle, as the tree has reached maturity and has already cast off most of its lower branching.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Having a little fun with this tree. Found an etsy store selling cypress knees and couldn't resist for a couple dollars. The scale and color are off even though I went for the smallest ones I could find. Will be interesting to see how it ages and weathers. I could probably bury it deeper at the next repot (to help with scale), if I don't get tired of it first, but for now I kinda like it.

20210607_164321.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
2022 update on my BC. I was having trouble with the design on this tree. The flat top style was not coming easy for me and I decided on a change. So last year I removed 2 of the leaders and will build the flat top out of the remaining one. I came to this decision after looking at a lot of google images of nice flat tops. I also noticed that my lower branches were too long and that was ruining the scale.

So here's where we're at. An improvement? I think the jury is still out but I'm hopeful. Still a long way to go.

20220607_173912.jpg

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good. The thing about flattops is you have to keep up with the leaders. Some get thicker, and become dominant and they have to be dramatically shortened or removed. I just did the same on my big BC. I had allowed it to develop dominant leaders at the top over the years. I cut them all back but one, which is the foundation for younger ones to fill in.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks good. The thing about flattops is you have to keep up with the leaders. Some get thicker, and become dominant and they have to be dramatically shortened or removed. I just did the same on my big BC. I had allowed it to develop dominant leaders at the top over the years. I cut them all back but one, which is the foundation for younger ones to fill in.
Thanks. I have also noticed with mine that the leaders tend to send out new branches mostly at the ends and will mostly just grow leaves near the base. So in order to get more ramification in the canopy I'm going to have to cut those leaders back hard at the red lines. That's the plan anyway.

20220607_173912.png

Last edited:

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I love Bald Cypress and wish I could grow them here but I think it’s a little too hot. Great pot. Sara Rayner?

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love Bald Cypress and wish I could grow them here but I think it’s a little too hot. Great pot. Sara Rayner?

Yes, Sara Rayner. Does it get hotter there than in Southern Louisiana? I can't imagine. Maybe a lot more dry?

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As hot or hotter and a lot drier. I think the lack of humidity is the biggest problem, but maybe I should still try. I’m a glutton for punishment.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As hot or hotter and a lot drier. I think the lack of humidity is the biggest problem, but maybe I should still try. I’m a glutton for punishment.
I say try it. I live in N Texas and it’s pretty hot and dry during summer (high of 104 tomorrow) and BC thrive here. Keep them consistently wet and they will reward you with great growth.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could try Montezuma cypress-Taxodium mucranatum. It's a native of Mexico and Guatemala. It's the national tree of Mexico. John Naka made a bonsai from one in So. Cal. It's now at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum. Species is hardy to zones 8-11 Very similar to Bald Cypress, only from hotter region.

Attachments

• montezumacypress.jpg
    montezumacypress.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 34

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First time I see this thread. I was going to comment to reduce the top to 1 or 2 leaders, but you did that already. Another think to consider is that not all "flat top" branches need to be at the same plane, you could bring some of the leaders down and out, then empower that first branch down from the top on the left to be another "leader". The problem I have seen with my BC is that if I leave more than 1 leader at one location it will swell too quickly creating inverse taper. I did that mistake with the twin trunk I am creating now, so I will leave it as is this season, to help thicken the base and do another chop this spring and manage the buds as they come out. This things pushed buds all over the chop area, and I didn't notice till it was too late. And this was also after a repot with a severe root pruning.

BC VAF.JPG

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First time I see this thread. I was going to comment to reduce the top to 1 or 2 leaders, but you did that already. Another think to consider is that not all "flat top" branches need to be at the same plane, you could bring some of the leaders down and out, then empower that first branch down from the top on the left to be another "leader". The problem I have seen with my BC is that if I leave more than 1 leader at one location it will swell too quickly creating inverse taper. I did that mistake with the twin trunk I am creating now, so I will leave it as is this season, to help thicken the base and do another chop this spring and manage the buds as they come out. This things pushed buds all over the chop area, and I didn't notice till it was too late. And this was also after a repot with a severe root pruning.

View attachment 441131
Cool. Thanks for the thoughts.

Top Bottom