LG Flat Top Bald Cypress

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quick September update. I just let it grow this year to acclimate to the new pot. I did some light pruning to shape as well. I find they always look a little shaggy and ragged this time of year. I've been able to get some additional ramification that I should hopefully be able to see with a side by side comparison this winter.

IMG_5592.JPG

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a bald update from today. The whiteness is from lime sulfur, but I am going to tint that darker and apply some wood hardener. I think I will finally pull the trigger and start some deadwood work this winter. I think the width of the crown is pretty good, I just need to focus on building up ramification. I made some progress this year, as you can see in the second photo. I'll do some wiring in early spring as well for some of the secondaries. I've encouraged some small ferns to grow along the base as well.

IMG_5791.jpg

IMG_5792.jpg

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it, I like the reduction from 2 to one main branch at the apex. I like the deadwood. Nice.
I go back and forth about how much carving to do on it. The wood itself is not very hard so I won't be able to get great detail to my carving. I'm thinking of having a major hollow run the length of it, with variable widths of opening.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I go back and forth about how much carving to do on it. The wood itself is not very hard so I won't be able to get great detail to my carving. I'm thinking of having a major hollow run the length of it, with variable widths of opening.
The lime sulphur improved the look a lot. I like the idea of hollowing it out. I think from the angle of that last eye-level picture, if the deadwood followed the bark line a bit closer you'd have a more appealing taper as well.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The lime sulphur improved the look a lot. I like the idea of hollowing it out. I think from the angle of that last eye-level picture, if the deadwood followed the bark line a bit closer you'd have a more appealing taper as well.
Yup, my plan has always been to remove more wood at the top to clean up the trunk chop and improve the taper.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Looking good! I like to hollow these long dead stretches personally. Looking at yours it’s hard to tell how it might look hollowed out. You might have to rotate the tree a little so that the hollow doesn’t spoil the taper.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went ahead and did some carving and coloring with lime sulfur and sumi ink. I have a few proposed fronts and am interested in folks thoughts. I think Front A gives the best movement and taper.

Front A

IMG_5835.jpg

Front B (180 degrees Front A)

IMG_5837.jpg

Here is a front on view of the carving.
IMG_5838.jpg

Top Bottom