Flawed Black Pine

harpua.cam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
http://imgur.com/a/c1pB3

Picked up this Black Pine today with some flaws. The reverse taper, circular roots and such cannot be repaired. I need some help developing the style and future of this tree. What do you guys think? Should I tilt, jin, or some combination of both?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd say that your biggest problem is learning how to bend branches and place foliage where you need it - you objective is to make it look like that straight trunk is half or a third as tall as it actually is. The apex of such wouldn't need to be but a few inches above where the one branch launches off it (no cheap jin apex).

Now is a good time to style it, once you have it in mind what you are going to do.

Have fun.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If really wanting to keep this tree there is technique for approach grafting seedlings or young saplings to reverse taper area and in time these merge with trunk. Roots of these can be used to enhance rootage of tree. This idea was suggested by Bonsai Techniques II I think;). Upper part of tree has good twists and bends to work with. Could make worth time waiting for young ones to grow in.

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For what it is worth, many relatively new to bonsai worry too much about reverse on young trees. If your plan includes increasing the diameter of the trunk by half again, you can grow your trunk out of most cases of reverse taper. It is mainly an issue for trees that are already at their "finished" diameter. This tree could be fixed while being trained as bonsai. Escape branches, in strategic spots would do it, no need for complicated root grafting.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you want to increase the trunk girth, it needs to be in a much bigger pot or grow box.

Michael's virt has possibilities, but I think the foliage pads would be much larger than how he drew it.

This is a good time of year to wire it.

Top Bottom