on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Do you find them easy or difficult to grow?
Hello Leo,
I am not an experienced orchid grower and my collection consists only of 10-12 plants.
Considering the above, I dare say Ophrys are easy.
I keep them dry into their pot during summer. Only mist the substrate 2-3 times.
Upon fall coming I mist them more and start watering when green appears.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hello Leo,
I am not an experienced orchid grower and my collection consists only of 10-12 plants.
Considering the above, I dare say Ophrys are easy.
I keep them dry into their pot during summer. Only mist the substrate 2-3 times.
Upon fall coming I mist them more and start watering when green appears.

Okay, so Ophrys grow autumn thru spring, and are summer dormant. Good to know. I will keep my eye out for them, when they become available in the USA. I did raise Pterostylis, an Australian terrestrial orchid, sometimes called a greenhood. They too needed a dry dormancy during the summer, did their growing and blooming over the winter. I lost them, because I forgot and kept them too wet one summer. Oh well. Live and Learn.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
A few more, the cooler weather has really helped with the azaleas this year.

DSC08189-1.jpg

DSC08191-1.jpg

This is almost there

DSC08194-1.jpg

In case you are wondering what they look like, here is the flower. I have another, but I pruned it too late so there are not that many flowers on it. I wish that the camera would capture the vivid purple that this one has.

DSC08197-1.jpg

I call this one Miss Scralett. I think it is Girard's Scarlett.

DSC08200-1.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
A few more, the cooler weather has really helped with the azaleas this year.

View attachment 181835

View attachment 181836

This is almost there

View attachment 181837

In case you are wondering what they look like, here is the flower. I have another, but I pruned it too late so there are not that many flowers on it. I wish that the camera would capture the vivid purple that this one has.

View attachment 181838

I call this one Miss Scralett. I think it is Girard's Scarlett.

View attachment 181839
Beautiful as always. Do you know what the purple on is? It is spectacular. (coming from a purple fanatic)

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Beautiful as always. Do you know what the purple on is? It is spectacular. (coming from a purple fanatic)

I do not, was told that it was called "fuchsia" when I got it at the flea market. The only azalea that I can find online called fuchsia is Girard's Fuchsia but the flowers don't match. I have some cuttings struck, I hope they take.

Top Bottom