Flowers 2021

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
You want me to root a cutting for you? Is it dark enough
That would be awesome, I could trade you some cork bark jade cuttings, or just pay for it. I'll have some Dwarf Barbados Cherry cuttings later on this summer also. You don't really see any much darker, mine is a pale purple.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I know it's a repeat, sorry, but this never gets old.

View attachment 366011

That is not "The Devil's Claw tree", the species Chiranthodendron has red flowers and longer "fingers". What you have is the intergeneric hybrid x Chiranthofremontia lenzii

Parentage is Chiranthodendron pentadactylon x Fremontodendron species, either Fremontodendron mexicanum or F. californiacum. Both Fremontodendron species have yellow flowers, so either one could be the parent of the hybrid form. It is cool none the less. It captured my attention enough I had to look it up.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That is not "The Devil's Claw tree", the species Chiranthodendron has red flowers and longer "fingers". What you have is the intergeneric hybrid x Chiranthofremontia lenzii

Parentage is Chiranthodendron pentadactylon x Fremontodendron species, either Fremontodendron mexicanum or F. californiacum. Both Fremontodendron species have yellow flowers, so either one could be the parent of the hybrid form. It is cool none the less. It captured my attention enough I had to look it up.
Impressive sleuthing! I am guilty as charged at eliding the details for our less dedicated readers. :)

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I usually plant some of those in the spring, but have never seen such a fancy one.
I got this one and a plainer white one, just from a local garden centre! I've put them in a crate with a few others... Was going to wait till I'd trimmed the lining and taken a better photo but here it is!

Attachments

• 20210408_152738.jpg
    20210408_152738.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 15

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WOO! These are the first flowers I’ve ever seen on this cherry pre-bonsai:
IMG_0310.jpeg

Its mother tree (from a house where I lived 8 years ago) appeared to be a sour pie cherry, but it’s possible that tree was “only” showing stress and poor growing conditions.

There’s a good chance it will turn out to be the same “Bing” cherry type (dark and sweet) that I have in my yard:
IMG_0316.jpeg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love iris's. I had beautiful purple ones at our old house, they smelled lemony. I wish I had dug them up and brought them to the new house. :(
I'll ship you some if you want. I have purple.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Satsuki Azalea coming into full bloom soon. Please ignore the thread grafting, unwise to take them off just for a photo! Working on developing additional pads lower down on the trunk, then reducing crown.IMG_1474.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1475.jpeg
    IMG_1475.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1476.jpeg
    IMG_1476.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom