Formal uprights

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
i think the best way to document a tree is through a video, this is becoming more and more popular on this site and a video really captures the 3-d aspect of the specimen.

where did you get the pot for this tree btw its fantastic?

That is a great idea. My phone will not do that but maybe I should get a video camera anyway. Any suggestions?

That tree came from a rocky outcropping on the shore of Lake Superior. I wanted to try and reproduce the look so I made the pot from thin pieces from a local stone retailer. When I asked if they had any really thin stuff he said, "Look in the scrap pile There may be something there." Ten cents a pound, the total came to 40 cents. The epoxy cost more that the stone did.

Thank you for noticing it.

Q-Bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
Has any one developed a formal upright pine from scratch? I can't seem to wrap my mind around getting the amount or quantity of branches in the right place other than grafting them...

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Has any one developed a formal upright pine from scratch? I can't seem to wrap my mind around getting the amount or quantity of branches in the right place other than grafting them...

I think you're right on. My guess would be that 95% of old specimen Formal Upright pines were developed by grafting almost all the branches in place. It's probably the only way to develop a powerful trunk and then truly get the perfect 1st branch, 2nd branch, 3rd branch "ideal" that you see in the old Japanese specimens.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol!

I just realized the needles on the shohin are about 3 times as long as the ones on the larger tree! Exactly backwards! I'm working on both to reverse that!

The shohin is actually too dense, too many buds, so the tree spreads its energy so far that each bud only manages to put out two or three sets of needles. Too weak to decandle, so the needles get long.

The larger tree also is highly ramified and does send out candles. But, it's in San Francisco, where it's cool. Not the best growing conditions for JBP. So, I'll decandle early this year so the summer candles will have a longer growing season. Repot this winter. And it's getting wired when I decandle.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a great idea. My phone will not do that but maybe I should get a video camera anyway. Any suggestions?

That tree came from a rocky outcropping on the shore of Lake Superior. I wanted to try and reproduce the look so I made the pot from thin pieces from a local stone retailer. When I asked if they had any really thin stuff he said, "Look in the scrap pile There may be something there." Ten cents a pound, the total came to 40 cents. The epoxy cost more that the stone did.

Thank you for noticing it.

It was very well executed and has a "settled" natural feel to it.
Thanks for showing it.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol!

I just realized the needles on the shohin are about 3 times as long as the ones on the larger tree! Exactly backwards! I'm working on both to reverse that!

The shohin is actually too dense, too many buds, so the tree spreads its energy so far that each bud only manages to put out two or three sets of needles. Too weak to decandle, so the needles get long.

The larger tree also is highly ramified and does send out candles. But, it's in San Francisco, where it's cool. Not the best growing conditions for JBP. So, I'll decandle early this year so the summer candles will have a longer growing season. Repot this winter. And it's getting wired when I decandle.
Love that larger tree. Formal and stately without looking artificial.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here are a few formal upright style bonsai from my collection:

RAF Dwarf Scots pine
Trident maple
Seiju elm

Bill
Hey Bill,

You said the last one is a seiju- I've heard a lot about them randomly killing off branches. Have you experienced any issues with yours doing that? If so, is it preventable?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is another Formal Upright JBP. This one doesn't lean forward.

Here's a before pic:

IMG_3942.JPG

After decandling and removing old wire:

IMG_3950.JPG

Wiring in progress:

IMG_4042.JPG

I hope to finish wiring it next time I'm at Boon's in about 3 weeks.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I worked on it a good bit last fall, wired it out. Then decandled it in June. Here's a picture after decandling:

View attachment 120247

Problem is, it leans forward
Here's a fall update:

Before pulling needles and thinning buds:

IMG_0530.JPG

Work in progress:

IMG_3927.JPG

After: I did a little detail wiring, too.

IMG_0533.JPG

I'm planning to show it at the BIB show at the end of January. I have another pot for it, and will repot it for the show.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had this eastern red cedar since it was a seedling, I am in for the long game with this one. I know it has some wiggle in the trunk, but it is the closest I am growing to a formal upright. There are many branches still, slowly removing as it grows. Feel free to give opinions on what you would do with it.IMG_4900.JPG IMG_4902.JPG IMG_4903.JPG

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How many pounds did it gain after wire?
A bunch! There was a pretty big pile of scraps, too!

It was almost two days of work to pull needles, thin buds, cut back, trim old stubs from decandling, wiring and setting branches.

Top Bottom