Free Western Hemlock...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's crying out loud to be a bonsai! I see bonsai in its bones, there's no doubt about it. Why is there wire at the top? If you bonsai it, the tree will end up half its current height.
It's 2 1/2 foot now from soil line...the reason I wired just the top. So my husband doesn't cringe when he sees it. He actually liked the tree. So didn't want him to notice I chopped it. ;) So I tried to make it look less chopped. At a quick glance.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's 2 1/2 foot now from soil line...the reason I wired just the top. So my husband doesn't cringe when he sees it. He actually liked the tree. So didn't want him to notice I chopped it. ;) So I tried to make it look less chopped. At a quick glance.
You're bad :rolleyes:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You need more trees to keep him confused ;) Like 100 more..

Goodness no! I think not...I'm actually poundering 15 my limit. With that last drought and the time it took to tend my own yard. It was much easier to handle bonsai than water everything in my yard. And we're not allowed sprinklers on lake association water.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Killer potential!

That is 2 awesome. When we were young, my brothers friend broke a light fixture in the apt. They replaced the panel with wax paper and my mom didn't find out for like 6 months!

Excellent potential!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Assuming since its hemlock with a weeping nature. One would wire the branches but still want to keep a bit of its weeping characteristics? (It's actually what I love about it.)

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello, can you update on this tree please? I am looking at purchasing a western hemlock and wanted see if you've achieved any back budding on this tree after chopping? Thanks Mike

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello, can you update on this tree please? I am looking at purchasing a western hemlock and wanted see if you've achieved any back budding on this tree after chopping? Thanks Mike
No back budding what so ever...you only get new growth on existing branches. Though...I did end up sinking it into the ground. I find its recovered quicker than in a pot. The side that was bare...I've new growth reaching to fill the areas that are bare. From existing branches. It's planted to the left of the mutant scrap art frog on the hillside of the waterfall for now.
20160712_084033.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The waterfall/creek landscape is very nicely done Darlene. Cheers Graham
Thank you...one way to deal with a hillside for a backyard. For years I hated our backyard. Now...it's my reprieve. Love the view the backyard there isn't a huge mound protruding. Just hardscape naturally placed.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Most important thing to know.... they will not backbud on old wood... You have to use what's there.... So the chopping of the tree and pruning back the legginess of it, is on your order of business. If you have a lot of bare branch you can always use some pretty creative movement to get it back where it needs to be. As with most conifers, I wouldn't bare root it completely, but you can get pretty heavy handed with reducing them by halves. They will thrive in pumice/composted bark/akadama... and they really love getting some iron in their feedings. I actually just put Ironite on my larger ones and let them go. You can get it at Lowes here. It would even be a good thing to do now until it goes fully dormant.

I wouldn't wait a year and a half to start getting it out of that soil. It's likely an Oregon clay, and that's a miserable medium under the best of circumstances. If it were mine, I would get it out of the can in the spring, take off a good section of the bottom and wash down the top to see your nebari, wedge it here and there... and put it in a grow box with some nice pumice.... pure pumice at that, for this stage.

Also considering what you want to leave... you'd do fine to get that chop done, just leave several inches from where you want to ultimately be. Doing it in late fall when the tree is drawn down, will be the best time... paste or not as you prefer. :)

I understand the caution... and generally there's everything good in that plan.. but a chop and a root ball reduction will not hurt this tree.... not wasting energy where you don't need it will also not hurt this tree. I would just wait on the heavy pruning that ultimately needs to happen.

Kindly,

Victrinia
Question:????? Where have you been??? Either way glad to see you back. I have another question; how much Ironite do you put on a tree compared to the size of the pot or the size of the trunk? Do you sprinkle it on the surface?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well if anything...it will allow me to see if I can get it through winter in the gazebo. I stopped at the small landscaping place today outside of town. No small pots of juniper...but, he said...to follow him. He had some trees that didn't winter well last winter. No junipers...but, the hemlock caught my eye. For the small needles and how soft they were. I asked about it...and he said I could have it! If anything...it will give me a chance at trying to keep it alive...and maybe air layer or chopping it next season?

imagejpg7_zps604ccda2.jpg

imagejpg5_zps3344d4f4.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsc9519226.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd9155b0f.jpg
If willing to do so contact Michael Hagedorn as he has good experience with Hemlock and is a really nice guy to boot:D.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No back budding what so ever...you only get new growth on existing branches. Though...I did end up sinking it into the ground. I find its recovered quicker than in a pot. The side that was bare...I've new growth reaching to fill the areas that are bare. From existing branches. It's planted to the left of the mutant scrap art frog on the hillside of the waterfall for now.
Did you ever pull this tree back up and work it into a pot? work it right were it is? (love the backyard!) I'm sitting on a mountain hemlock that I got for free early summer 2020 and just let recover for a year+, now deciding similar to you, whether it's yard tree or a chop.

Top Bottom