Fretting about overwatering - a myth nowadays

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny this came up...during the most recent Mirai Q&A someone asked this question (I'm paraphrasing):

"Walter Pall says that for trees in modern substrate, it is impossible to over-water. If you are unsure, just water more. All the excess water will drain out. Do you agree with this?"

Ryan gave a one word answer (anyone familiar with Ryan knows that this may be the only time he's ever given a one word answer to any question):

"No"

and on to the next question.
I have first hand experience to say that Ryan is right!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Romania (this is the name of the country).
Sorry. I always seem to do this.
I know about the snow disappearing. Across the board in Europe snow seems to lack many winters, as does real winter. I remember joining a newyears party in Budapest with 12 degree C.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Walter Pall says, in an article on his blog, that with modern substrates over-watering is almost impossible. Those words make quite a difference. I, for example, have a juniper (or something) in a small pot that stays wet for a longer period of time than the trees in much bigger pots. There are many factors involved, I know, but usually there are exceptions from rules. We can't really know a thing for sure if we never tried it. Until this year I was scared of overwatering, but I found out that it's not that easy to do it.
True, Walter did say "almost" and the person who asked the question left that out. Perhaps Ryan would have addressed the question differently if it had been asked that way.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well.. Lets just say
I can't imagine not liking Ryan. or having a really bad experience meeting him.

I've met him a few times. Affable, non-threatening approach to classes. Hardly a "superstar" mentality...At least not been my experience. Let's just say, conversations and meetings are a two-way street

Top Bottom