Frostbite, and Too Late?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love pinion pines (pinus edulus is what grows around here) and had high hopes for the last one I collected back in September, but that big freeze that hit The States back in February looks like it took a toll. Looked like just a bit of freezer burn at first, but now more and more is starting to brown. We'll know for sure in another month or so. I was really hoping to submit it to the Native Tree Challenge.

But just the other day I took a walk out in the sticks and found this adorable shohin.
IMG_20210409_191505_100.jpg
All done up in redneck confetti, and just sitting in the sand collected on the rocks of a ridge at the edge of town near a long abandoned coal mine. I can find my way back to it in a heartbeat.

Haven't seen much movement in the other pines in the area yet, though the deciduous trees are all starting to pop.
Do you think it's getting late to just slip a trowel under it and drop it in a pot as is, or should I leave it until fall? One way or another, it's far too shallowly rooted to live terribly long. You're looking at pretty much the whole space it has in the pic, and the sand is only a couple inches deep in that spot. Though, I have seen these things run AWFULLY LONG roots in those situations, so I suppose it could have a long and arduous life in that spot.
Thoughts?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd actually considered that, but that seemed a bit out there. Climbing up that ridge with fertilizer every couple weeks doesn't sound practical.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd actually considered that, but that seemed a bit out there. Climbing up that ridge with fertilizer every couple weeks doesn't sound practical.
Wouldn’t you just dump a few piles of some organic fert, and no need to do anything for a few months.
Or chicken manure pellets.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wouldn’t you just dump a few piles of some organic fert, and no need to do anything for a few months.
Or chicken manure pellets.
Not on these. Pinions hate fertilizer I've learned, and prefer a pH in the high 7s to 8 range. It'd have to be something zero N, and weak on P and K too. Nothing like that around the house. Might be able to dig up the bottom of the leaf and grass compost bin for something that's not too hot, but I don't imagine it's ready.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Critters would come out in hoards to investigate and snack.
That too. In my yard, sure. In the wild, not so much.

It could be worth climbing up there to water now and again, but really, it's not the sort of thing that would be practical, not on my schedule.
No, if I leave it, it's pretty much on it's own.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not on these. Pinions hate fertilizer I've learned, and prefer a pH in the high 7s to 8 range. It'd have to be something zero N, and weak on P and K too. Nothing like that around the house. Might be able to dig up the bottom of the leaf and grass compost bin for something that's not too hot, but I don't imagine it's ready.

Fair enough, it sounds like you have some info about it, so take your best judgement.

Critters would come out in hoards to investigate and snack.

So, 2 birds 1 stone, helps them and the tree :p.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fair enough, it sounds like you have some info about it, so take your best judgement.

So, 2 birds 1 stone, helps them and the tree :p.
Lol you don't live rurally with critters do you? Before bonsai I struggled to keep them from destroying my landscape. There is a huge platform feeder you can't see for the dwarf iris coming up behind the frog statue. I've also holders for full cobs of corn on the back patio...if you feed them they stay away from your plants for the most part. I don't want any coming into my tree's pots.

Last year I moved a neagari crabapple
away from my collection since I noticed powdery mildew fungus. They chewed the exposed roots off the tree. I had not anticipated that. I would never encourage wildlife up to a tree in nature.
20210412_061757.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Tree in question looks like badly needing rescued. Get all possible roots and handle like a baby.
This sounds like EXACTLY what needs to be done.
That's what I was thinking, just didn't want to jump to that conclusion because I've seen them survive in some pretty remarkable situations. That's part of why they're my favorite tree: the things these creature will endure and just keep going, but dear god, don't think you're going to help because that will kill them! Kinda like me. LOL

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks like it’s been surviving, just hanging, for a long time....probably on a cup of water a year at the most. Most water probably ran right off the rocks and never made it to the roots. I think that if you dig it up, collect as much root as possible, and settle it in a good substrate, that the tree will think it moved to paradise....and put out healthy growth. Bringing the tree back to life will be quite rewarding.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's the thought. Was just worried about the timing mostly.
I figured scoop up as much of the soil it's in as I can so I don't disturb it too much, and drop the entire scoop on top of a thick layer of better substrate, then sprinkle a thin layer on top. Probably broken brick and lava rock because I'm a broke cheap bastard. A thick enough layer of that on the bottom of the pot, and the fine grains the tree is already in will have ample room to slowly flush away when I water, thus not shocking the thing too terribly much. I've had lots of issues with that in the past.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's the thought. Was just worried about the timing mostly.
I figured scoop up as much of the soil it's in as I can so I don't disturb it too much, and drop the entire scoop on top of a thick layer of better substrate, then sprinkle a thin layer on top. Probably broken brick and lava rock because I'm a broke cheap bastard. A thick enough layer of that on the bottom of the pot, and the fine grains the tree is already in will have ample room to slowly flush away when I water, thus not shocking the thing too terribly much. I've had lots of issues with that in the past.
You have a good plan. Follow through. It’s all you can do....and you will give it your best effort.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you!
You've all helpful allay my misgivings. I'll go dig as soon as I'm able and ready.
Now where's a hammer? There's some rock and brick that needs milling. Maybe some old terracotta too.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collect a few of the rocks & pebbles to accompany the tree — companions to suggest place, when you display?

No rocks where I am...

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you!
You've all helpful allay my misgivings. I'll go dig as soon as I'm able and ready.
Now where's a hammer? There's some rock and brick that needs milling. Maybe some old terracotta too.
I’m visualizing you out there on the rocks like Thor with his huge heavy hammer.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Collect a few of the rocks & pebbles to accompany the tree — companions to suggest place, when you display?

No rocks where I am...
I used to collect the rocks also. Now I have a lot of rocks but no display trees. Nice rocks though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom