Fukien Tea - brown leaves and micro spiders?

bonsaibobba

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

Ive had this tree for around 4 months now. I've found a good spot for it, and it has grown new limbs and leaves. Recently more leaves have been turning brown. I suspect I am overwatering it? So I decided to take it out of the pot and let it air out. I moved it into the grow tent. This is when I saw these little small spider like insects, and the longer body ones, and then the micro white ones on the leaves.

Since it is out of the pot, should I clean off the soil and use some new stuff, or are those insects okay?

I have some coconut coir and this on hand: https://www.amazon.com/Bonsai-Purpo...eywords=bonsai+soil+mix&qid=1678119040&sr=8-5

Is this appropriate for the fukien tea?

Looking overwatered?

20230306_104848.jpg
20230306_105126.jpg

20230306_104848.jpg20230306_105126.jpg20230306_105221.jpg

Last edited:

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It does look over watered, or rather like the mix it's in is prone to holding on to too much water. The first bug is a springtail, usually a sign that it's very wet but not harmful by itself. Can't attest to the other two. Maybe just normal microfauna.

I think the leaves too are suffering from this, they look a bit deficient and chlorotic, which correlates with too-wet roots

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What are the little white bugs?

Fukien tea can be really tricky. They lose their leaves when the are in a new location so try not to move yours around too much. I suppose bonsai soil is fine but akadama holds lots of water so you need to be careful with over watering. If you repot it do it only when there is a lot of growth and damage as few of the fine roots as possible. The roots are also sensitive. I killed an 11 year old plant with a premature re-pot. :/

In this case, I would dry yours out and get it really healthy before repotting.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@JackHammer I can confirm the little white guys are springtails; really common and used a lot in the terrarium hobby as a "clean up crew". They're detritivores and won't harm the tree but their presence indicates overly wet conditions

bonsaibobba

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well soils dry. Had it in the grow tent with the atrium hydra 1000 led light, on for 16hrs/day with small fan circulating the air. Not many leaves left. Hope there is still hope. Should i keep it in the grow tent for awhile? The place i had it, it was doing great. Its above the radiator so it's like a heating pad, and getting indirect sunlight. The tent is average 67f at 55% humidity 20230309_225434.jpg

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What was the grow Tent like? Did it have condensation on the inside if so it was definitely too humid and might be the cause of the problems.

The other bugs are mites are they only on the soil? If so they are not a huge problem they probably feed of organic material or other critters.

bonsaibobba

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No condensation, dry. I put the plant in there just for these 3 days while the plan wqsout of the pot for the soil to dry faster. Was thinking it could use a shot of good lighting

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No condensation, dry. I put the plant in there just for these 3 days while the plan wqsout of the pot for the soil to dry faster. Was thinking it could use a shot of good lighting
Mine seem to re-grow leaves for every new environment. Try not to move it around too much. It needs direct sun if you have it. All those leaves will turn brown and fall off. I have had them down to 2 leaves before but never 0 leaves. Be extra tender.

Top Bottom