General Conifer Questions, Coast Redwoods

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I've just this past year gotten into conifers, specifically Coast Redwood that I've collected and bought, but have some pretty basic questions that I hope you all can clear up for me.

1) Coast Redwood go 'dormant' in winter and stop growing, but it's important that they still get sunlight during this time, correct? Are they just building up on energy over winter for a big push in spring when they're very energy positive?

2) Do roots still grow in the dormancy period? I've seen some advice for providing a 0-10-10 fertilizer in winter for Coast Redwoods to help root growth - is this solid advice?

3) Should I change any other conditions for the tree in winter? More or less water?

4) In spring I plan on repotting a few of my Coast Redwoods. I believe it's best to wait until I see buds popping up everywhere before doing a repot - correct?

5) In regards to collecting Coast Redwoods: Bob Shimon of Mendocino Coast Bonsai who has collected several hundred Coast Redwoods over the last 30-40 years told me that you can collect Coast Redwoods successfully at any part of the year. He says if you collect in late spring or early summer or mid summer you will get growth immediately. If you collect in late summer or fall you may not get growth until spring, but success rate is similar no matter what season. I trust his advice since he has so much experience, but this flies in the face of what I've heard in the past about timing for collecting trees. I ask because I have an opportunity to collect some Coast Redwoods at a property nearby and have been considering waiting until Spring to do it, but I'm having second thoughts after speaking to Bob Shimon and may go collect the trees as soon as next week. Thoughts? Is this risky?

Any information would be appreciated!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Unless you are restricted to a once in a lifetime chance to collect one, go dig one up as Bob Shimon says you can. Skepticism is good. In this case it is muttering, 'I hope Bob knows what he is talking about,' while digging one up with every sphincter in your body tighter than they've ever been before. 'Don't do it' opinions are only going to reinforce your prejudice/ignorance.

I offer you the threads Cork Oak Repotting Experiment, Douglas for Repotting Experiment, Lodgepole Pine Repot Experiment, Zelkova Repotting Experiment, RedbudPotting Experiment for your consideration.
Yes, as long as soil temp is above 40F or so
I don't.

Top Bottom