General opinion on Mimosa (Albizia julibrissen) for bonsai

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
it's like paying for a prostitute with aids just because she "looks nice" then you get something you might never get rid of.

With that logic I really got a steal cuz all mine were FREE. I'm not cynical, youre just pretentious

Haha so why do you have “a bunch” of highly invasive, crap weeds in cultivation if not for bonsai?

I don’t think that word “pretentious” means what you think it does. Though I’d be inclined to use that word to describe your attitude if you weren’t such a nice guy.

Also, terrible metaphor.

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Update on this mimosa. It’s been 2.5 months since I removed most of the roots and hard-pruned it. I honestly thought it was dead because in addition to my brutal treatment, I’m pretty sure it has mimosa (fusarium) wilt which is not curable and means certain death. A couple of weeks ago I noticed swelling in a few places which has steadily increased in size and number. Pretty amazing how this blob of a sick mimosa is seemingly bouncing back, though probably waiting to die as it’s vascular tissue is currupted. Definitely showing the vigor of a weed! Will be interesting to watch nonetheless.
5A08971F-35C6-4E65-9406-0FAFAF23EE5C.jpeg
CE12ADFF-DEEC-42FE-9F7C-E1BD6D06CC8B.jpeg

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That would be a shame if it gives up the ghost. It might have become an offbeat but interesting tree. I hope you have it quarantined--fusarium is incredibly contagious. If indeed that is what kills it, you should bag and dispose of the soil and pot, too.
I was intrigued by the thread, and read it through from the beginning. My wife and I have on several occasions vacationed at the home of a friend in the south of France. His house is in a village called Bormes-les-Mimosas, because they have them everywhere. It's often referred to as the most floral town in the south of France. From what I've seen there, mimosas can get very old indeed.
When I read sharply-worded comments and judgements, I am reminded of the words of Marcus Aurelius: "Everything that we are told is opinion, not fact. Everything that we see is a perspective, not the truth." Best of luck.

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That would be a shame if it gives up the ghost. It might have become an offbeat but interesting tree. I hope you have it quarantined--fusarium is incredibly contagious. If indeed that is what kills it, you should bag and dispose of the soil and pot, too.
I was intrigued by the thread, and read it through from the beginning. My wife and I have on several occasions vacationed at the home of a friend in the south of France. His house is in a village called Bormes-les-Mimosas, because they have them everywhere. It's often referred to as the most floral town in the south of France. From what I've seen there, mimosas can get very old indeed.
When I read sharply-worded comments and judgements, I am reminded of the words of Marcus Aurelius: "Everything that we are told is opinion, not fact. Everything that we see is a perspective, not the truth." Best of luck.

I’m inclined to agree with the words of the emperor.

Fortunately, the Fusarium are species specific in selecting their hosts. Hopefully it pulls through some how. That would be exciting.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
funny, as your opinion here is a bit confused. The mimosa you're talking about and saw in France IS NOT the species being discussed here. The mimosa in France is a "true" mimosa a member of the Acacia family (Acacia dealbata). the "mimosa" in the U.S. is a silk tree (albizia juliabrissen) They are not the same thing.

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

If you take a cross-section of infected tissue, you’ll observe a brown/dark ring or blotch among otherwise healthy tissue. This is a result of the fungus corrupting the xylem and interrupting water exchange.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Meanwhile, I just got 10 mimosa seeds and I'm growing them in my room. I know this might be a challenge, but I was scammed into buying them as they were advertised as Brazilian Rain Tree seeds. I got my refund luckily and now I'm treating it as an experiment. Definitely want to try and get them to become bonsai!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Meanwhile, I just got 10 mimosa seeds and I'm growing them in my room. I know this might be a challenge, but I was scammed into buying them as they were advertised as Brazilian Rain Tree seeds. I got my refund luckily and now I'm treating it as an experiment. Definitely want to try and get them to become bonsai!
My group of seeds (sold as Brazilian Rain Tree) from the same seller arrived yesterday. It was a Etsy purchase so if BRT is what you are looking for beware. I am pretty certain they are Mimosa, Albizia julibrissin.
They are beautiful trees with a bad rap. They can approach a weed status where they grow. The large one in my backyard is in decline now but has left many seedlings. I have lived here 31 years and the tree was already quite large when I moved in. In the nursery trade ( a 50 year career), they were not and are not well respected. They can experience significant dieback do to various conditions including low temps. Mine lived through minus 14 F 4 years ago but many seedlings did not. Of course many more seedlings succumbed to my wife's weed eater than nature ever took.
I was taught, by a long line of nurserymen (sorry ladies, no nursery women expressed a view) that they were weak wood trashy trees that lived 30 years and died. That didn't stop me from appreciating the tree for its tropical appearance and beauty of its foliage and flowers.
Carry on.

Top Bottom