Giant Sequoia Potting Advise

Halifax

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks, Coh. I just moved it into a larger pot but I will make a planting box for it next spring and let it go to town. I don't have a plan as I purchased it this way, but clearly, I need a plan!

linina

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I am so happy to find this forum, I had to register a new account so that I can discuss about giant sequoia!!!
I bought my 2 baby sequoias in June and been repotting them into small tea cups with bonsai soil. When I repotted, I did not more than just a trim so that the root would fit into the pots. They have been growing very well since, I see new shoots on both. However, I also see some yellow and brown foliages. Somehow, those small ones seem to love to be in shade more than under the sun; I am supposed the sun/heat dries them out.
Now that the SoCal is going into "winter," I hope they will do fine. I have been feeding them a little bit of bonsai fertilizers and see them doing well with it. Hopefully they will survive their first winter here...

55935602751__55F23E34-254D-44CE-A543-A9C489AD088A.JPG

Halifax

Sapling
Reaction score
They look really nice! I have also started seedlings this year, but they are behind yours in growth. My GSs get morning and afternoon sun, with a shadecloth shading them midday. I mist the canopies every morning, too.

linina

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hello Everyone!!

Hope you have a great planting day. I have found some little tiny guys in the bonsai soil of my sequoia and I am inexperienced so I am not sure if they're bad or good and what do I need to do with them. They're extremely tiny so it was so hard for me to photograph them. I put a little video on my youtube instead. Please help me identify them; are they good or bad? what should I do if they're bad guys?

Thank you
Here's the link

linina

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
a better than the other clip but still not the best, I apologize. It is truly tiny and I had a hard time finding it

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Odd to see up at surface of soil. Do cups have drainage holes?:confused: Likely baby earth squirms.

linina

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Odd to see up at surface of soil. Do cups have drainage holes?:confused: Likely baby earth squirms.

Hi, yes the cup has holes for drainage, although I do water it more regular than most of my plants because I’ve read that they don’t like the wet and dry period; sequoias like to stay hydrated. I’ve found quiet a few ones dead today when SoCal gets really dry lately and I didn’t get to water them until I get home. So do they harm the roots if left untreated?

Also, I think they are there might have something to do with my ferterlizer then because it’s organic stuff. They’re not on the surface though, I scraped up the soil surface so that I could add some moss on top and I horrified seeing a few of them. Didn’t know what they were.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
some moss

If you add some big patches its likely you'll bring some things to eat those worms with.

Though...they may not be worms.

Doubt they're harmful. I got em.

No worries.

Sorce

Top Bottom