Carapace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I bought 3 little giant sequoia, two of which I will be planting in the garden and 1 that I will try to make into a bonsai.
I was wondering if you got any tips on care and pruning them?
Thanks.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They like quite a lot of water.

You mention that you intend to plant 2 in the garden. Did you mean plant for a while to grow out trunks and ultimately be dug up and grown in containers as bonsai or did you mean plant in the garden as landscape trees? If it’s the latter, you’ll want to really do your homework first to understand what you’re potentially getting into. Sequoia roots grow aggressively, stay fairly shallow, and extend further away from the trunk than you may imagine. Damage to the home’s foundation is a possible complication if it’s planted too close. In an urban/suburban setting where they don’t have to compete with an established forest for sunlight, they may also grow significantly taller and in less time than you might expect.

Carapace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They like quite a lot of water.

You mention that you intend to plant 2 in the garden. Did you mean plant for a while to grow out trunks and ultimately be dug up and grown in containers as bonsai or did you mean plant in the garden as landscape trees? If it’s the latter, you’ll want to really do your homework first to understand what you’re potentially getting into. Sequoia roots grow aggressively, stay fairly shallow, and extend further away from the trunk than you may imagine. Damage to the home’s foundation is a possible complication if it’s planted too close. In an urban/suburban setting where they don’t have to compete with an established forest for sunlight, they may also grow significantly taller and in less time than you might expect.
I planted them as landscape trees and yeah I read about the roots and such, they are far from any construnction and almost 10 metres apart from eachother and planted in nice deep soil.

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
don't get attached to them in the ground. you may love how they grow and end up wanting to rip them out to make a sequoia grove!

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I planted them as landscape trees and yeah I read about the roots and such, they are far from any construnction and almost 10 metres apart from eachother and planted in nice deep soil.
10 meters apart is right next to each other for a Sequoiadendron. I planted one in my garden 15 years ago. I stood back and tried to imagine a giant tree. I imagined shit. What I thought was enough space will soon be an embarrassment. I will have to start cutting down mature trees around it to give it room. It is now about 2 feet in diameter at the trunk base, about 6 meters wide (and that's with pruning some lower branches) and about 8-10 meters high. Much smaller than the smallest branch of a big one. 😕 Luckily I'll probably be dead before a big storm blows it down and takes out the house.....

Carapace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
10 meters apart is right next to each other for a Sequoiadendron. I planted one in my garden 15 years ago. I stood back and tried to imagine a giant tree. I imagined shit. What I thought was enough space will soon be an embarrassment. I will have to start cutting down mature trees around it to give it room. It is now about 2 feet in diameter at the trunk base, about 6 meters wide (and that's with pruning some lower branches) and about 8-10 meters high. Much smaller than the smallest branch of a big one. 😕 Luckily I'll probably be dead before a big storm blows it down and takes out the house.....
damn, well lucky me I didn't get to plant the second one yet, I still need to cut and burn a lot of woody weeds, guess I'll plant it idk, 20 meters??? That should be good enough, although Im not very sure if they'll survive, from what I've read online they need hot dry summers and that they do well with drought. Guess we'll see :p

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Someone down the street planted a coast redwood and a giant sequoia what must have been decades ago and they are towering over everything else. And we have some tall Douglas Fir in the area. They are really really big.

Top Bottom