Giant Sequoia Pruning/Shaping

Hurstan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Two days ago I received my newest tree, a giant sequoia. I got it from Welker's Grove Nursery based out of California. The tree is 16 years old and has been potted for the past 12 years. So far I'm not quite sure where to start when I eventually prune this tree.
A lot of the branches at the top are tangled together but able to be separated. Its been about a year since the tree had last been pruned. Giant sequoias are somewhat difficult because when a branch is pruned because they tend to put out a new shoot at a different angle and not back bud very well. My end goal (many, many years from now) is a representation of the gnarled ancient sequoias.
Currently I am working on clearing all the moss off of the dirt and base of the trunk. As soon as the pot I ordered gets here I will be planting it in that pot (3" longer, 1" wider) since it is root bound. I've read that these trees can not be bare rooted when repotted because of small feeder roots that can be damaged easily.
20150725_122103.jpg 20150725_122214.jpg 20150725_122231.jpg
Anyone have any recommendations on where to start with pruning/shaping this tree? Right now I am considering either pruning some of the excess branches and getting the leader heading up straight again or topping the tree where the last knob is and making dead wood at the top to resemble how the largest sequoias are missing their tops due to lightning strikes.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool! I have no suggestions but will be watching this. I have a giant sequoia that I've been growing in a pot for about 5 or 6 years now. Not sure where I got it, but it's been very slow to develop trunk size. Since I'm just building the trunk, I haven't done any pruning yet.

What size is this? Trunk thickness at base is what I'm interested in.

I haven't found a lot of information about this species but you might find this of interest, if you haven't seen it:

http://www.bonsaiempire.com/blog/giant-sequoia

Chris

Kandoloh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh man that's awesome. My uncle was a law enforcement park ranger at sequoia national park. I used to spend summers there hiking through those trees. So amazing.

Hurstan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Cool! I have no suggestions but will be watching this. I have a giant sequoia that I've been growing in a pot for about 5 or 6 years now. Not sure where I got it, but it's been very slow to develop trunk size. Since I'm just building the trunk, I haven't done any pruning yet.

What size is this? Trunk thickness at base is what I'm interested in.

I haven't found a lot of information about this species but you might find this of interest, if you haven't seen it:

http://www.bonsaiempire.com/blog/giant-sequoia

Chris

The flared base is around 2 5/8 in diameter. The nursery grows their largest ones in the ground for 4-5 years then spends the next several years after reducing the roots slowly to fit in a shallow bonsai pot. After 5 years of in ground growth most saplings have over 1 inch trunks.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The flared base is around 2 5/8 in diameter. The nursery grows their largest ones in the ground for 4-5 years then spends the next several years after reducing the roots slowly to fit in a shallow bonsai pot. After 5 years of in ground growth most saplings have over 1 inch trunks.
I've had mine for a little under 5 years. Checked my notes, it was 3/8" when I got it and is now just about 1". Gonna take forever to get a decent trunk size like yours. I tried one in the ground but it didn't survive its first winter, which kind of surprised me considering where they grow in the wild. I may try that again, will have to check with that nursery you mentioned.

Chris

Hurstan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I've had mine for a little under 5 years. Checked my notes, it was 3/8" when I got it and is now just about 1". Gonna take forever to get a decent trunk size like yours. I tried one in the ground but it didn't survive its first winter, which kind of surprised me considering where they grow in the wild. I may try that again, will have to check with that nursery you mentioned.

Chris

For the winter the trees need covered in snow. The nursery recommended to build a cold frame or keep them in an unheated shed. It's not usually the temperature that kills them, its the dry winter wind.

Top Bottom