Ginkgo Fall Color

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Noticed some nice fall color on my [daughter's commandeered] Ginkgo, 'Chase Manhattan' tonight. If the leaves are still on in the morning, I'll try to add a better photo in daylight.

I've had this one for about 10 years, all in a bonsai pot, and has quarter-sized leaves. It's really slow growing, so I'm glad she likes it, or it would be in the ground somewhere.

SAM_1131.jpg

SAM_1133.jpg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Brian, I need to rent some space in your post to show this tree. I hope you don't mind.
This tree is displayed in GSBF 2011 at Riverside, CA. and belongs to Bonsai Garden Lake Merritt.
DSC_0969.jpg

DSC_0970.jpg

Bonhe

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Anytime with a post like that! Beautiful composition.
One last of this one; probably a couple days too late.

SAM_1138.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Such very nice color. Have you ever seen yours lose it's leaves? I catch one or three of mine, then next time I look at it, all gone... I like the way you are building branch structure in yours, I don't understand why almost all the bonsai ones I've seen are done in the telephone pole style. Natural ginkgos around here are large full crowned trees. I'm also trying to build some actual branching on mine, any tips?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've seen them go a few times, it's pretty cool. We don't have much wind in my display area, so usually it's just a golden pile one day.

I agree on the growth habit of ginkgo as bonsai, somehow they usually grow differently in pots, and you lose the beauty of the bark and branch structure; don't know why. I don't really have any tips on getting branches, except this one started out with 3 branches, and I don't think I've ever cut anything off, I just wire it every couple of years and make a conscious effort to create movement in the shoots so that buds are at the outside of each bend, and they seem to pop.

Here's a shot of it from spring '05, see how SLOW they grow in a bonsai pot.

Ginkgo Biloba Chase Manhattan 2005.jpg

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The growth habit of gingkoes in a pot, which produce very bumpy trees, might be acceptable if you're looking for old trees. There is one very old gingko in the Brooklyn Botanical Garden that resembles the kind of tree you see in bonsai books, but that's the only time I've ever seen one.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow thats nice really liking the yellow

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's mine last week

BnTty.jpg

You know you should just send that tree to me.... I'll give you my address and I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands..... :p very nice indeed!

My only suggestion... and you can ignore it all you want (I won't be hurt)... but a more antique looking pot would really make this tree shine... have you considered aging this pot? or finding an actual antique... happen to like the shape and color ...

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks :) I agree the pot leaves much to be wanted but for me the colour is the issue... it doesn't contrast the fall colour enough... although its ok during the summer. And it just has a "cheap" look to it. Although it is a quite nice high fired pot with some detail in the glaze, I am looking for a blue pot of a similar shape. I will be in Japan next month so am hoping to score something there.

Here are some pics after leaf fall and wiring. Long way to go, but ramifying these trees is not easy, especially when its only about 30cm tall.

UiWrG.jpg

EAei8.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here is an outstanding Ginkgo that is part of the Alabama Bonsai Society's collection on display at the BBG...kind of a sleeper hiding around back that really caught my attention today. It's not a small tree, about 28" tall with a 5" diameter trunk. Unfortunately the leaves have fallen, the pot color must have been a great compliment to the golden leaves.

SAM_1205.jpg
SAM_1201.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You'll have to try to catch that one in color, looks like it'd be very good. Nice bones.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is an outstanding Ginkgo that is part of the Alabama Bonsai Society's collection on display at the BBG...kind of a sleeper hiding around back that really caught my attention today. It's not a small tree, about 28" tall with a 5" diameter trunk. Unfortunately the leaves have fallen, the pot color must have been a great compliment to the golden leaves.

View attachment 19239
View attachment 19240

One of the best I have seen, any more pictures? Thx for sharing.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Impressive! Lucky him! R these expensive in the US? I notice the right hand size chichi or aerial root is growing 'fast' and will make the trunk even better, I wonder if is possible to do any work on those Chichi's ;)
The best Ginkgo I have seen has to be the one shown (minute 15:40) at the 93th kokofuten:
Thx you Brian.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But amkhalid's is probably the best small one I have seen.
Edit: and Brian Van fleet's too... sorry between my bad memory and lack of knowledge I tend to oversee things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom