Ginkgophiles of the world unite!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the virtual .

It's true that the top is a bit too messy, but it's not that hard to arrange with a branch cutter .
I think I will remove the jin and some top branches ...

View attachment 329944

Or , from your virtual

View attachment 329945
It'll be bare now and it's wire time. Can we see?

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
It'll be bare now and it's wire time. Can we see?

I put him back in a corner of the garden, and he got acquainted with some mushrooms, it gives him a break.

20201227_160735.jpg

I like this advice which says: "when you don't know what to do with a tree, forget it in a corner of the garden, and may be one day he will tell you what to do" .

Sorry for the photo, but today the conditions are not ideal (storm crossing the country).

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Advice I received for rooting ginkgo cuttings.

Take cuttings in late autumn after leaf drop. Wrap entire bundle of cuttings in long fiber sphagnum. Place this bundle in a plastic bag, does not need to seal, some air is good. Place bundle in refrigerator. After 90 days, remove from fridge. Unwrap bundle, stick cuttings in pots or flats. Put outside to sprout in spring. Morning sun, afternoon shade. Only a few leaves will open in spring. Roots may begin middle or end of summer. If you see actual new stems grow, then you have roots. A small few will root immediately, most root 6 to 10 months after being taken. A fair amount won't actually root until the second year.

Louisinass

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MAR
How about this ?

It's easy tree?
Does the tree recover bad after a cut or a trim?
How about it's need of water

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
How about this ?

It's easy tree?
Does the tree recover bad after a cut or a trim?
How about it's need of water
Ginkgo - hmmm, here’s a few pointers to help somewhat.
Great Autumn(fall) colour - nothing like it.
One flush per year - slow, lol very slow
Heals well and doesn’t blink to pruning - all types - drastic to trimming growth back.
Happy in most soil types but prefers Alkaline. pH range between 6-8 etc.
Seems happy in restricted pots - weird fleshy roots.
Doesn’t seem to be mega thirsty but I have only grown mine in a quite high water retentive mix.
That might help somewhat.
Charles

Louisinass

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MAR
Ginkgo - hmmm, here’s a few pointers to help somewhat.
Great Autumn(fall) colour - nothing like it.
One flush per year - slow, lol very slow
Heals well and doesn’t blink to pruning - all types - drastic to trimming growth back.
Happy in most soil types but prefers Alkaline. pH range between 6-8 etc.
Seems happy in restricted pots - weird fleshy roots.
Doesn’t seem to be mega thirsty but I have only grown mine in a quite high water retentive mix.
That might help somewhat.
Charles
So the fact Ginkgo hate be trimmed and doesn't recover it's fake? I had reading everywhere we need avoid big trim or trunk chop.

I was really interesting about gingkos but it seem be a non grateful tree as a bonsai (slow growing)

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello, my little feedback is as follows.
The Ginkgo are undoubtedly among the most resistant trees (no diseases, insensitive to insects ...), a little internet research on the Ginkgo which survived Hiroshima is interesting, on the other hand they often have a somewhat crude appearance, atypical which pleases or not ...
I like this aspect a little "primitive".
The branching develop very slowly, the cut wounds remain visible for a very long time, it is better to avoid them on the front side if they are too large.

They are simple trees to maintain, but you should not expect major changes in their structure over the years, such as with a maple or a juniper for example, so the ideal in my opinion is to find a tree that you like when buying with already a good diameter of the trunk, high enough because the leaves will remain rather large, and a lot of branches, unless you are very, very, very patient!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Raised from seed started in 1998, field-grown for 10-12 years, and in a pot since 2012/3. Height is about 18” and the trunk is 5” wide at the soil level. Grown completely by pruning, never once wired...not because it couldn’t benefit from it, just because I wanted to grow it this way.
3663D6F5-883D-4DA0-91F3-256A9C9D0432.jpeg

Fishsauce

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1682267172819.png

Does anyone know what could cause ginko leaves to curl up like these? Not sure if it's a moisture, nutrients or sun related problem. TIA

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collected these in fall, so far 9 sprouted. Long road ahead, collecting many anecdotal findings and going to be running some experiments as they grow

One of those things is not like the others ;)

I've got a couple dozen seeds I picked off a couple of trees on my daughter's college campus. I've germinated 3 of them su far that will probably live their entire lives in a tiny pot.

The rest I put into grow bags over the weekend. We'll see what germinates. Depending on how those do they will either go in the ground in the fall or next spring.

I have a lot of interest in this one that I just picked up a couple of weeks ago:

20230415_122750.jpg

It was budding out when I got it...then we got some freezes. The leaves are burnt and stunted :( But it's supposed to have smaller leaves than normal. It's from a witches broom:

20230415_130632.jpg

The amount of branching is incredible for a ginkgo this size! If the leaves are small enough, this could be a nice cultivar for bonsai.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow @LittleDingus that’s as good a ginkgo as I’ve seen (at that stage of development). The species definitely doesn’t appreciate the cold, once it’s actively growing. My seeds germinate sporadically on the freak warm days and won’t grow a hair when we cool back down. I expect all but one of my seeds to germinate by late may. And yes, good eye. I guess there was an Amur maple seed in my soil mix, going to let fate tell me what happens to that guy

MaxChavez

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Recently repotted these two nursery "Troll" Gingko. The goal is to get them ready to plant onto either side of a rocky outcropping and use their quirky branch leanings to my advantage.

Attachments

• 20230429_092907.jpg
    20230429_092907.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 60
Top Bottom