Go big or go home!

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The rootstock... the trunk base with the old root system... stays in the ground and will likely die... if it sends up a shoot, great, but I'm not counting on it. The layered tree will be considerably smaller when the ground layer is severed because it'll have had all the other layers removed by then and will also be cut back. It'll be pretty big, though;).
So you have the base layered at the same time as multiple layers up in the tree I always thought you couldn't have one set up lower than another one like two on the same Branch for example am I misinterpreting

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So you have the base layered at the same time as multiple layers up in the tree I always thought you couldn't have one set up lower than another one like two on the same Branch for example am I misinterpreting

I'd be more cautious with a plant in a pot, but I have a front-yard landscaping maple that I've use for multiple simultaneous layers on a single branch. Successfully rooted five "new" trees from one branch last year.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd be more cautious with a plant in a pot, but I have a front-yard landscaping maple that I've use for multiple simultaneous layers on a single branch. Successfully rooted five "new" trees from one branch last year.
Awesome thanks for the clarification, i need to set something up in the huge JMs at my dads asap..may need to call my old tree service chronies up and have them come with the bucket truck lol but seriously

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The key with layers of any kind is to remove the cambium completely 360 degrees around the trunk… I remove a small amount of water wood beneath the cambium to be sure… and you need enough foliage directly associated with each layer to support root growth. Multiple layers simultaneously are possible with both landscape and potted trees if they are healthy.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The key with layers of any kind is to remove the cambium completely 360 degrees around the trunk… I remove a small amount of water wood beneath the cambium to be sure… and you need enough foliage directly associated with each layer to support root growth. Multiple layers simultaneously are possible with both landscape and potted trees if they are healthy.
Gotcha , it makes sense to go a little deeper, duly noted thank you ill definately apply that to my next go'head !

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dead as a door nail… didn’t survive the chop
That's disappointing, it looked really strong. Did anything traumatic happen?

I mean other than obvious, freeze or water issue ...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, the triple trunk was put into the ground in the fall, 2019, as it was too raw and was taking up too much bench space. Late last summer, when my move north was solidifying, I took stock of any ground growing trees that should come with me... this one made it by a hair! It lost one of it's trunks probably 2 winters ago, so now it's a double trunk and will require a different planting angle.

IMG_6789.jpgIMG_6790.jpgIMG_6791.jpgIMG_6792.jpgIMG_6793.jpgBecause the layer was performed with 3 trunks in mind, the root spread is now uneven and I'll be doing loads of root grafts to correct it. This one also has some sentimental value to me as I've had it since I lived in my first house in MA, purchased as a future garden tree, it was grown as a garden tree in GA but made the transition to potensiai while I lived there, and now in MI, it's actually in a stoneware bonsai pot for the first time:cool: .

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yup its the spring swing!
no kidding... Almost 64 F at 4:20 Am today, then gale force winds all day- my neighbor's trash was all over my back yard and another neighbor's trampoline is in a tree- and it's now 41 F at 6 pm and flurries are in the forecast.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
no kidding... Almost 64 F at 4:20 Am today, then gale force winds all day- my neighbor's trash was all over my back yard and another neighbor's trampoline is in a tree- and it's now 41 F at 6 pm and flurries are in the forecast.
I don't think those pink shorts are going to make an appearance for awhile......

Top Bottom