Great Mirai podcast with Walter Pall

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
very interesting and informative. i did 30mins last night...not quite got through it yet

thing with podcasts, you can just have them on in the background while youre wiring out a tree or eating dinner etc...

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I listen in my shop while working on motorcycles. I'm usually out there 8hrs a day and already know all the words to the commercials on our local radio station. ditto on the telperion farms enlightening podcast.
I only got about 1/3 into this one so far. I'll finish it Monday.
And Mr @Walter Pall would you mind explaining hedge pruning again? LOL Just kidding Sir.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
for someone only 5-8 years in, Jennifer has amazing talent. you get folks now who are 5 years in and still asking the same questions from when they were 2-3 years in.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
for someone only 5-8 years in, Jennifer has amazing talent. you get folks now who are 5 years in and still asking the same questions from when they were 2-3 years in.
In 20 years I'll gladly ask the same questions that I ask today. I might get different answers!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
so in 20 years you will still be asking someone how to wire a tree? that would tell me that in 20 years you didnt learn much;)
Yeah, of course! By asking people, I force them to think about it. If that makes me look like a fool, so be it. It might help someone else out, who might be affraid to ask.
Reflection is a rare practice nowadays, people need to trick others into it.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
you would be a massive help to others by showing them how far your trees had improved over a 20 year period.

if youre asking the same questions after 20 years and not applying anything you were told, doesnt that show a lack of effort/enthusiasm.

serious bonsai is supposed to be progressive. sure ask questions, go away and apply what you were told to make your trees better.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Quite enjoyable. Paused and screenshot so I could return later. But found it enlightening. Enjoyed hearing everyone's thoughts. Good discussion topics.

Hearing how Walter Pall got started in bonsai and his journey along the way was interesting.

That Ryan apprenticeship in Japan...and admires Walter Pall. Shows ones can appreciate different techniques and the art of bonsai.

Also was shocked again to hear bonsai is a dying art in Japan. It's the second time I've heard it.

(Fist pump) for Jennifer! Loved hearing her as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I listen to Megadeth.

One if my favorite things in the world is a video I saw several years back where the Metallica guys go to therapy. You got James and Lars man crying and trying to get Dave Mustaine to come to therapy with them. Camera switches to an incredulous Dave who has a WTF moment then goes on about how he was sleeping with Kirk's girlfriend and how Kirk stole all of his solos.

Oh, and I haven't listened to the episode yet but it's in my queue.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thing with podcasts, you can just have them on in the background while youre wiring out a tree or eating dinner etc...
Try commuting an hour each way, every day.
Hm.. Must be something with me then. I find that if I am working on something, people can talk to me, but I do not hear them. Same if I am listening to something. I am focussed on listening to a podcast I cannot do anything else. If I am wiring a tree, my mind is with the tree and I would not hear the podcast.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hm.. Must be something with me then. I find that if I am working on something, people can talk to me, but I do not hear them. Same if I am listening to something. I am focussed on listening to a podcast I cannot do anything else. If I am wiring a tree, my mind is with the tree and I would not hear the podcast.
Yeah, I've tried to run these podcasts in the background while I'm working on something else and I wind up having to listen to it again later. Especially when technical stuff is being discussed, like the stream about ground growing (Telperion, I think), or Vojtilla's method. I just can't absorb the info unless I'm really focused on it.

Now, if they're just "chatting" about apprenticeship experiences or other off topic stuff that doesn't really matter, I can be doing other things while that is on. But then I never know if I've missed something important.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, of course! By asking people, I force them to think about it. If that makes me look like a fool, so be it. It might help someone else out, who might be affraid to ask.
Reflection is a rare practice nowadays, people need to trick others into it.

I practice this myself. Never afraid to help others either learn from my mistakes or ask leading questions.

you would be a massive help to others by showing them how far your trees had improved over a 20 year period.

if youre asking the same questions after 20 years and not applying anything you were told, doesnt that show a lack of effort/enthusiasm.

serious bonsai is supposed to be progressive. sure ask questions, go away and apply what you were told to make your trees better.

He didn't say that ALL he does is ask questions.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I did meanial tasks and listened. Rewound if I wanted to catch something I quite didn't catch. Surfed the forum...then Facebook. Played a game on my phone. Things that are not all consuming. Agreed I couldn't wire a tree and listen.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Really.. 2 hours? People sit down and listen to some stream for 2 hours?

I won't, and that's one of the things I don't like about online videos : the gist of many of them could be summed up in 5 minutes. Don't know about this one, I can't spend so much time watching it.

I remember an old documentary about a museum of cinema in London, and how people discovered "editing" : a train coming in the distance, then another shot showing it passing as if it was in front of you at a crossing.

A shortcut in the narration, another point of view making the whole thing more meaningful. What I liked writing on the board : KISS (keep it super simple).

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I ended up listening on the way to work then on way home. Had 10 mins left over, listening whilst sticking dinner on. All done.

Was good, wasn't exactly what I expected but was all good. Sounded like a comfortable chat.

Top Bottom