Green island ficus progression CJR

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Did you removed the cambium on that part or just filled with substrate?
No cambium removal. This is not a ground layer. I temporarily cover the trunk for side roots to start. The bark and rock will be removed in a few months.

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have any images of the progress? How long do they take to root? Is it easy to separate them? You then "connect" them to the bottom substrate? thanks!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Do you have any images of the progress? How long do they take to root? Is it easy to separate them? You then "connect" them to the bottom substrate? thanks!
Sorry but no pictures. That’s why I am posting this. We will see in a few months. It’s not hard to separate them unless you leave the substrate on too long (>1 year). Don’t need to connect. They will find their way to the ground. The rocks are there to make them twist and turn before getting there.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Cool idea. I imagine this technique works for more than just ficus.
Same method is used to develop neagari where instead of the trunk being buried, the tree is planted in a tall pot with a lot of stone in the soil. As the roots develop, the soil/rock is slowly removed forcing the roots to grow deeper as the root up top being exposed.

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Same method is used to develop neagari where instead of the trunk being buried, the tree is planted in a tall pot with a lot of stone in the soil. As the roots develop, the soil/rock is slowly removed forcing the roots to grow deeper as the root up top being exposed.
Ah! this makes a lot of sense, that way the roots are not 'straight', great ideia, I need to try it.

Will be waiting for updates

Top Bottom