Green Mound Juniper

Lucas_H

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi everyone,
I am new to bonsai and this is technically my second tree. My first tree was back in 2004 and was also a green mound. I was in the army then and had to leave for training. Upon getting back I found out that the person I left the tree in care of didn't water it so it was green when I left and dried and brown when I got back. I don't know why but I never got back into bonsai till now. I'm much older now and I would really love for this to be my new hobby.

I have this green mound that my wife purchased for me from Brussel's Bonsai that is about an hour away from where I currently reside in Mississippi. I have only had it for about a week and I've been watering it about every other day. The instructions said to do it every day but I have read from several other sources that that could be detrimental to the tree. I have noticed that some of the inner "needle" have started to brown. I have read though that this happens to conifers late summer early fall. I was just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about? The rest of the tree looks great so I am assuming that this is just natural.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 153

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to the forums.

It doesn look healthy and yes they will shed old needles in late summer. Sounds like you diagnosed it correctly.

Lucas_H

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It doesn look healthy

Thanks for the quick response! Are you saying it does look healthy? The "n" kinda threw me off.

Also, I might be jumping in this pretty quick, but I am planning on going to Brussel's Bonsai sometime in the next couple of weeks. I am really thinking about a Japanese Maple. Would this be a wise decision for such an amateur or should I get a little more experience before going down that road?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
DOES....sorry it was a typo.....damn phone

Japanese maples are fine. They are usually pretty easy to keep alive. It is harder to figure out what to do with them in terms of what you do to develop them (actually this is true about pretty much everything :p). The good thing is, they are usually easily fixed if you are unsure and they get a bit bushy. There are lots of resources out there with info though, so you might as well get started.

Last edited:

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
First Lucas thank you for your volunteer service. As a retired Vietnam era vet who suffered through an unpopular time and war I know how important a simple thank you is. Thank you.

How fortunate for you to live near Brussel's. Check out their classes. Talk to the folks there and ask questions. Observe the many trees they have, but distinguish between those for the mass (non-bonsai literate) market and those intended for those in the hobby.

Oh and please update your profile with your city, state or a specific area. This info along with tree species is critical to folks providing good information.

Again welcome.

Lucas_H

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Doug! And thank you for your service as well. You most certainly served in a more trying time and war than I did. It was rough so I couldn't even fathom what Vietnam was like.

I will definitely update my profile. Thanks for the info and I look forward to my time here at Bonsai Nut!

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome Lucas!

It's good to have selfless men like yourself in the hobby.

Living close to Brussel's, it's apparent where you currently reside but for future advice it would be helpful to fill in your profile; location and USDA zone. You WILL receive better advice with your climate represented next to your posts.

Healthy looking juni you got there.

Or should I say "It doesn look healthy".:cool:

Cheers,
B

Lucas_H

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks B!

I took a gander and what I am assuming is your blog (in your signature). That is definitely some interesting stuff you got there! What was going on with that one tree seemed like some bonsai Frankenstein stuff to me and I hope that one day I can understand exactly what was going on. I really feel like I'm taking the first steps in the shallow water of the ocean of knowledge. You guys seems like a friendly bunch so I am sure I just found a new favorite site to visit daily.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Where I am located it is almost impossible to not have a "full" juniper without inner browning. To avoid it we thin the dense foliage quit a bit leaving air and light space between the branches. That type of Juniper is far less prone to give you problems if you work it a bit then other varieties which is a plus for you! Welcome to B-Nut and the journey ;)

Grimmy

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Welcome Lucas!

It's good to have selfless men like yourself in the hobby.

Living close to Brussel's, it's apparent where you currently reside but for future advice it would be helpful to fill in your profile; location and USDA zone. You WILL receive better advice with your climate represented next to your posts.

Healthy looking juni you got there.

Or should I say "It doesn look healthy".:cool:

Cheers,
B

B just spent the last hour on your blog. Great stuff!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to B-Nut Lucas ! Junipers also will shed inner needles when they do not get enough light, that's the main reason for opening one up, it allows light in keeping foliage viable and promotes back budding too.

ede

Lucas_H

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the additional info Ed!

I have an additional question about fertilizer. I read that this late in the year that it is best to go with a 0:10:10 fertilizer since nitrogen promotes new growth. Still have a couple of months till winter so how often should I be fertilizing right now if any and should it be solid or liquid? I read that solid fertilizer is best during the start of Spring. Additionally I have found conflicting advice from several websites where some suggest fertilizing a few times in Winter and others saying not at all. I am in deep need of clarity, haha.

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Lucas this is not as critical as you might think. Sure its great if you find a fert with 0-10-10 for the fall because as you know nitrogen promotes new growth and you dont want that with frost coming. I usually just use a 20-20-20 liquid Petes or Jacks and use it every two weeks until I put the trees away in November. If you have good draining soil its hard to over fertilize. Some people swear by Miracle Grow. This discussion can be as long as you want it to be but for where your at IMHO just use a liquid a few times a month when you water until late fall.

Lucas_H

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I might be a little paranoid here (and who could blame me since I would hate to lose a $60 investment in only two weeks) but I noticed today that the foliage on my green mound looked a little green/gray instead of the vibrant green it has been lately. It did get a lot of rain recently and this morning it got its first healthy dose of sunlight since that rain. What do you guys think? I promise one of these days I will get comfortable with bonsai and won't ask silly questions like this! ;)

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
The coloration change is a normal occurance with green mound juniper as it moves through fall into it's winter dormancy period. Just watch you watering. The bamboo skewer method works everytime. And don't strees about killing trees. My first tree was a gift from my gf and it died very shortly(3 weeks or less) after recieving it. I've killed like 5 more since and I've only been at this since march of this year. (lessons learned, get trees that can THRIVE in you local area, use the correct soil for the species, and be patient)

It's too much fun of a hobby to stress over, hobbies are supposed to be relaxing, not raise stress levels.

Lucas_H

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I appreciate the response Blake! I've been enjoying my juniper and I've been trying to read everything I can about bonsai. Between a full-time job, a wife and kids, and schooling I hardly get time to do much these days. I have a few books on order and I'm looking forward to receiving those....and maybe I can stop asking stupid questions in the forum! Brussel's is having a sale at the end of the month and I'm thinking about going. I was really thinking about something such as a japanese maple. What do you guys think would be a great tree for someone new to bonsai? Any suggestions?

Top Bottom