Grow onto cholla wood

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My greenhouse is in dappled shade most of the day, otherwise it'd be WAY too hot in there, so should be safe. It's about time for some of my sickly gardenias to come out anyway. They're looking better.
That will have to wait until Sunday at least, though. Taking the kids camping.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, so between shipping, a new climate, getting all wilty from my first failed experiment, and then 2 days of neglect while camping, that little ficus isn't looking so hot. I'm going to give it a little while to recover before bashing it again. Hopefully soon here.
I did find some Spanish moss (apparently no one in town even carries sphagnum any more, when all of them were selling out of it last year), so that should work for growing medium.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My experience with cholla is in aquarium use and it breaks down after one to two years. Just be prepared as it is not a long lasting hardwood.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My experience with cholla is in aquarium use and it breaks down after one to two years. Just be prepared as it is not a long lasting hardwood.
The hope is that we can make that work in our favor. With a little luck it should last just long enough for the tree to take its shape, then decompose completely leaving just the tree.

Top Bottom