Gumpo Azalea Gets its Spring Haircut

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have been struggling to find the time to prune this Spring due to other projects so I have to jump on it when I get the opportunity. This is one of the first azaleas that I got, it came from a nursery and I think it was in a three gallon pot. It has came a long way since I got it. Gumpos are not easy to tame, they put out lots of long upright growth and are kinda brittle, but if you wire the branches right before they harden off they set quickly, sometimes in a month or so. They also grow fast, all of the foliage in the before picture grew in one season, I had cut it back to nothing last spring. What do you think?

John

DSC00206-1.jpg DSC00207-1.jpg DSC00211-1.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Awesome!

Gonna go back to a local nursery and pick one up myself. Just love the white flowers.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like it in that pot!

Nice growth!

Sorce

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Awesome!

Gonna go back to a local nursery and pick one up myself. Just love the white flowers.

Thanks, I like the white ones too, only it is so humid here in Mobile, I have to apply fungicide right before bud break or they will get petal blight. When I first got it, the folwers were all white, now I have some that are showing up with pinkish stripes and blotches, kinda cool.

John

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd keep he moss off the bark. Azalea bark is easily dmaged by the damp under the moss. Cute tree.

Top Bottom