Hack's azaleas

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You've gotta start cutting back hard. Like leaving 1 or 2cm branches.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Little chinzan clump, there's a little flexibility in the trunks but I'm not sure if I'll try to create any movement or just pull them down some, I did clean it up considerably after, this is the before pic
Can't get pics to attach for some reason I'll try later

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I guess your Chinzan has already bloomed? Mine is just starting to hit it's peak.
The one's I have in the yard are wrapping up Blooming this year. The couple in pots are either finished or i cut them back before they bloomed. Next year should be a much better show

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
or i cut them back before they bloomed.
😲. I know others do, worried about wasting energy on the flowers. But some very successful azalea growers like @Mellow Mullet have seemed to debunk that reasoning and he has lot's of wonderful azaleas. Just me, but I have them only for the flowers!🤷‍♀️

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I do enjoy the flowers. I had the opportunity to go by Rodney Clemons nursery recently and noticed he had just completed a hard cutback so I thought I'd follow his lead and see how it turned out. From my limited experience I think it did bud back a little faster, luckily this should only be required once for most plants

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Looking good. I fell down the azalea rabbit hole this spring. So far they are doing well, starting to set buds.

Top Bottom