Hard cutback on azaleas

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a Wakaebisu I cut back yesterday. Last year I cut back some branches to stubs. This year I started removing them completely. The red line is the trunk I'd like to use. The green lines are stubs I need to remove. Can the green marked stubs be removed cleanly since there is growth below the stub, (blue marks) to help with the transfer of water?

IMG_2500.JPG IMG_2501A.jpg IMG_2503A.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I didn't few like that last year, removed all foliage and sawed 80% of the roots off.
They all grew back initially, then a few checked out.
But 2 survived, and one I have high hopes for in the future.
But yours looks like it has some nice thickness in that trunk, what color are the blooms on this guy?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Here's a Wakaebisu I cut back yesterday. Last year I cut back some branches to stubs. This year I started removing them completely. The red line is the trunk I'd like to use. The green lines are stubs I need to remove. Can the green marked stubs be removed cleanly since there is growth below the stub, (blue marks) to help with the transfer of water?

View attachment 132614 View attachment 132615 View attachment 132616

In my experience, yes, you can go ahead and cut them off, especially since you still have growth for the roots to support. Make sure that you cut flush with the trunk and that the cut will is smooth, the seal it well. Wakas are the very tough and seem to handle the most abuse of any that I have. They also heal wounds faster than the rest.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I didn't few like that last year, removed all foliage and sawed 80% of the roots off.
They all grew back initially, then a few checked out.
But 2 survived, and one I have high hopes for in the future.
But yours looks like it has some nice thickness in that trunk, what color are the blooms on this guy?

Wakas have a salmon pink , hose in hose, flower with dark pink freckles. Like this : https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/satsuki-wakaebisu.15084/

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking of cutting back the roots by as much and put in a bonsai pot. I may wait till next year. I have a few I'll be working on this weekend.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would say yes you can. Looks like those stubs were made last year, right? Did the stubs send out any shoots?

Looks like you're on the right path! Good luck!

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would say yes you can. Looks like those stubs were made last year, right? Did the stubs send out any shoots?

Looks like you're on the right path! Good luck!

No those thick branches were cut yesterday. I did cut flush some stubs flush that were originally cut last year. I was wondering if ,because there are branches below the stub, if they can be removed flush with the trunk?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's a risk. I'd wait a year.

I agree with Adair. Azaleas are prone to die-back. There is no risk to wait another year. If I am doing big chops on azaleas I leave a long stump until I know I have good growth established back where I want it.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I guess I read it wrong, I read it as it had been cut back, as in trimmed, and that the stubs were from last year. Just wait, you don't want to chance a dead spot.

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a risk. I'd wait a year.

I agree with Adair. Azaleas are prone to die-back. There is no risk to wait another year. If I am doing big chops on azaleas I leave a long stump until I know I have good growth established back where I want it.

Don't want to put them at risk. I'll let them backbud and repot next year. Thanks for the input.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Complete agreement among BNutter's is a forbidden state. o_O

I think you can do it this year PROVIDED you wait until terminal buds start pushing. If you have flower buds, this is the same time as when flowers are fading. However, don't prune any apical foliage on your trunk this year.

Top Bottom