Has anyone grown calltris roei or cypress pine as bonsai?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I took hike around my university's botanical gardens this morning. They have a very diverse garden and I always look for trees they grow there that could be suitable for both bonsai and my climate.

I saw what was labeled to be a cypress pine and it had very refined and delicate foliage. I don't think I've seen a juniper or cypress with such small ramified scale foliage before. In any case the bark and foliage was very attractive which would look very nice on a bonsai. Anyone with any experience growing or propagating these? I'm thinking of asking if they would let me take some cuttings or a layer.

Julian

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have not used them myself but am always on the look out, easier to find seeds so may have to go that way.

If you take a look at ausbonsai.com they have a section under "Natives" for Callitris and there is likely the odd bit of good info out of that section too, worth asking the question I imagine.
Maybe @Craigm knows more as I think they are closer to him than anyone else.

Craigm

Mame
Reaction score
@bleumeon @Starfox , Personally I have not alot of experience with these. I have grown 1 before which died from lack of water and at the moment I have only a 1 year old seedling callitris endlicheri growing . I personally have been meaning to Look for some advanced material to start from. I have not collected any either so not real sure about how temperamental the roots are in that area.
But
I do love the Foliage which in general reminds me of very fine Juniper foliage.The bark is also very nice.
Yes have a go with cutting from 1 or 2 year old wood and then some older wood by all means.

There are many people in Australia growing them but pictures are sometime hard to come by,,
this is your inspiration, have fun..
Callitris glaucophylla - artist is Mr Grant Bowie.

Callitris glaucophylla.jpg

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
@bleumeon @Starfox , Personally I have not alot of experience with these. I have grown 1 before which died from lack of water and at the moment I have only a 1 year old seedling callitris endlicheri growing . I personally have been meaning to Look for some advanced material to start from. I have not collected any either so not real sure about how temperamental the roots are in that area.
But
I do love the Foliage which in general reminds me of very fine Juniper foliage.The bark is also very nice.
Yes have a go with cutting from 1 or 2 year old wood and then some older wood by all means.

There are many people in Australia growing them but pictures are sometime hard to come by,,
this is your inspiration, have fun..
Callitris glaucophylla - artist is Mr Grant Bowie.

View attachment 119902
How would I propagate these as cuttings? Do I take them in winter or spring? Would you use rooting hormone?

I'm thinking if I can't take an air layer (most likely not) I'll just sneak a few branches for cuttings.

Craigm

Mame
Reaction score
How would I propagate these as cuttings? Do I take them in winter or spring? Would you use rooting hormone?

I'm thinking if I can't take an air layer (most likely not) I'll just sneak a few branches for cuttings.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the how to as I have not done it, however I would just do it. Take some cutting of various thicknesses and
try with and without rooting hormones, spring,summer,winter and autumn. I am not certain that all callitris can be taken as cuttings but you should try and if the Tree has seed pods then you should try to collect some and extract the seeds.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take some cutting of various thicknesses and
try with and without rooting hormones, spring,summer,winter and autumn.

Yup!

I've had succes with yew and juniper indoors in dirt over winter.

May as well ask about an airlayer too...

I swear to God everytime I don't ask, by the time I would be removing it, the branch is lopped.

Sorce

Top Bottom