Has anyone had success with airlayering or ground layering or applying tourniquet on English oak?

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I found them pretty quick to layer, about 1” though and still with smooth bark. Ring if bark removed, hormone powder and moss in a bag. I’m trying to use perlite in layers as I’ve found woodlice and weevil grubs in the moss layers recently and I don’t expect they’ll feel at home in bits of glass....

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I missed this earlier. This is really encouraging. Did you leave the pot open and continue to water it or did you seal the whole thing and just water the old roots?

I ask because oaks are a species I’ve struggled to find collectible specimens of, but I’ve found lots of great branches around the place and layers may be a good way forward, but regular watering would be a bit of a problem.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I found them pretty quick to layer, about 1” though and still with smooth bark. Ring if bark removed, hormone powder and moss in a bag. I’m trying to use perlite in layers as I’ve found woodlice and weevil grubs in the moss layers recently and I don’t expect they’ll feel at home in bits of glass....
I like this idea though...

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
I left the top of the pot slightly open, wrapped with clingfilm and watered occasionally.
The only problem was that slugs got in and I think they ate a lot of roots during winter otherwise I think it would have rooted out quicker, so maybe i should have sealed it better!

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
3A46B3A9-8791-446D-972E-E9B67A1DA18F.jpeg
20D31857-1527-467E-9D5C-420A03C548F6.jpeg

On a similar theme, this is an optomistic English Oak cutting in pure perlite, in a humid greenhouse....! Worth a stab..?! :D

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
View attachment 318421
View attachment 318422

On a similar theme, this is an optomistic English Oak cutting in pure perlite, in a humid greenhouse....! Worth a stab..?! :D
Good Luck and let us know if it takes! When I was a student we trialled hundreds of softwood Oak cuttings on a mist bench with bottom heat, and from memory I think @1% were successful in producing roots.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Good Luck and let us know if it takes! When I was a student we trialled hundreds of softwood Oak cuttings on a mist bench with bottom heat, and from memory I think @1% were successful in producing roots.
I had pretty high rates using 2-3 year hardwood leader cuttings from 7-10 year old neglected oak “seedlings” a while back, very small sample though. :)

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I had pretty high rates using 2-3 year hardwood leader cuttings from 7-10 year old neglected oak “seedlings” a while back, very small sample though. :)
Very nice! What was your technique, media, etc.?

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Sadly the giant Oak cuttings didn’t make it - the biggest “I wonder...” one really tried though! Note the callous:

432C5925-628E-4336-B2C6-A40AC43F1EA3.jpeg
A117BC35-BB25-4F5F-A29B-82FC833EF7D5.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol - scratch test = brown!
I do not believe in scratching bark.
But you have the plant there. You can see whether branches are wrinkled etc. The callus does not look dead, and the area near your hand neither..

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I do not believe in scratching bark.
But you have the plant there. You can see whether branches are wrinkled etc. The callus does not look dead, and the area near your hand neither..
I think that the entire internal wood structure is decaying. For transport to take place one would need a more or less closed system, since the top and the bottom are open ended, I don't expect water to move upwards in any sense other than capillary action. It's like a drinking straw: if you don't seal the top, the water will just drop out of the bottom.
Some trees can bypass this by producing good node structures that act as a membrane or sponge, some can't.

Top Bottom