Hawthorn prospects in the field

Kurtz

Seed
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post and I am new to bonsai. I live on a ranch in the high country of Colorado and have been looking for native species prospects. I have found a couple hawthorns I am intrigued with and am looking for input and advice on my next steps and if these are appropriate canidates i.e. movement, size, styling possibility, survivalbility from newbie torment, etc. I plan to leave the trees in the ground a while, until spring at least or a couple years which ever is the best course. I won't be collecting until I have guidance as well. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• hawthorn31.jpg
    hawthorn31.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 70
  • hawthorn2.jpg
    hawthorn2.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 72

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi and welcome Kurtz. I can't give you climatic specifics for your area, but here is a link to a site from the UK. that is hawthorn specific. He has several progressions for collected hawthorns here. If you keep in mind that his climate is going to be different, there is a lot of great information at this site.

http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATHawthornTwinTrunkProgressionSeries.htm

Telperion

Seedling
Reaction score
Kurtz,
My sister has a ranch in high country Colorado (at 8,000 feet).
When I went to visit, I was very interested in the scrub oak that they considered a nuisance. Have you done any work with scrub oak, or know anyone who has?
Thanks.
Chris Kirk
Telperion Farms

Kurtz

Seed
Reaction score
JudyB- Thank you for that page I found that to be a great resource.

Chris- That is very cool. I am at around 7,000 ft elevation. I haven't worked with them but they were the other tree I have my eye on. We have numerous acres of them and I am very intrigue with their possibilities. I have been researching the Gambel Oak and will post some prospects when I can. Where are you? Thanks for the reply.

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
The tree on the right with the curve looks to be the better of the two. By reducing the height and then turning upright you might have a good tree. Are you sure these are hawthorn? Un less the cattle and sheep are grazing there should be alot more fine branches with lots of sub-branches and thorns? Perhaps a different variety - just does not look like a hawthorn. You need to spade around the tree this year and then try and lift the tree next year. Depending on the soil the big roots could run aways. I would think Colorado would be gravel and rock - so you should get a good rootball. If you cut back now and the trees are still alive - you should get alot of new lower growth next year. Then you dig. Good luck, Tom.

Kurtz

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks Tom

Tom- Thank you for the advice that is great. Yes I am sure it is a Hawthorn, we have a lot of them here. Here in the open field they don't go very many lower branches, but higher up you would have seen numerous leaves and red berries. I had trimmed the one on the right back and the other one is a very tall tree so I didn't include the whole tree, thus you cant see the rest of the tree structure.

Top Bottom