Hawthorn stumps

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
So, as I've mentioned in my other thread, I've ordered pumice. I don't think I'll use it on these two stumps, though. I'll keep it for real yamadori trees.

I'm going to stick them in a tub each and considering sphagnum moss peat and sand or moler clay and perlite and then putting a black bag over them. In all likelihood, I guess I will be tossing 2 dead stumps come autumn anyway so I don't want to invest resources that could go into a better project.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so I don't want to invest resources that could go into a better project.
Somehow that sounds like false economy.
You have these stumps. They seem to be worth your time and effort.
Why not give it the best chance to succeed
Are you collecting more plants this spring?
?

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
Somehow that sounds like false economy.
You have these stumps. They seem to be worth your time and effort.
Why not give it the best chance to succeed
Are you collecting more plants this spring?
?
With what you said in the other thread, I'm now considering I could buy some pine bark and bulk this mixture out to 60 litres of pumice and pine bark mix.

I've had these 2 stumps since June last year. They both sent out a few shoots and leaves last summer but nothing substantial. I feel keeping them alive has been down to moisture. I want to provide as much moisture as I can without overdoing it.

I have plans to collect a field maple, I've also been given the go ahead from my boss to collect and airlayer off a yew in work. I also have a forsythia and privet Bush in my garden that I want to dig up. However, the 2 in my garden I'm considering just doing prep work this summer and maybe take some airlayers before digging them out next year

Top Bottom