Hawthorn yamadori literati

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Here is a small movie I made of my Hawthorn. It's digged out two years ago and waiting for a first shaping. In my opinion it's made for a Literati style. I'm doubting about best front. When the shari are most visible, the top goes to the back. But, is that a big problem anyway?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think it is a big problem to have the top going so far back. I have a collected elm with exactly the same issue. I've elected to show it with the hollow trunk to the back. Very hard decision but that was the best solution. Shari is good but does not trump branching and style.

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Very good tree as is for converting to Bonsai. Seems a shame to remove branching needed for true Literati🤔.
True, but less is more. Most of the branches are well developed, with the typically structure as Hawthorn has.. See the naked photo, just after collecting.

H1.jpeg
I also have thoughts about making a cosmicstyle bonsai, by removing the upper part. But I cannot make a decision...

H2.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree has many possibilities. Remember most of branches will be gone if made Literati. However most of thorns also will be gone. Personally would pass on tree to masochist;).
What is "cosmicstyle"?

Last edited:

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Tree has many possibilities. Remember most of branches will be gone if made Literati. However most of thorns also will be gone. Personally would pass on tree to masochist;).
What is "cosmicstyle"?
The Burton Style or otherwise called Cosmic bonsai (Kozumikku in Japanese) was created in 2006 by Darrieux Laurent and Dora Hervé, two avant-garde Frenchmen. Unlike all existing Bonsai styles on the planet that reproduce or tend to reproduce naturally growing tree forms on Earth, the Burton Style consists of creating tree shapes that grow on imaginary planets and do not obey terrestrial laws. To do this particular techniques of shaping will be implemented such as the growth of long branches ligated with complex movements, the absence of the concern of branching during the process of creation and all that will allow to skew on the natural laws governed by the apical force. All that is relative to the solar attraction, to the repetition of fractal forms typical of the trees growing on our star, will be foiled the time of the formation of the tree to take its place thereafter. It should be noted that despite some techniques related to this style and allowing it to be obtained, most of the techniques used to obtain this type of tree are identical to the traditional formations of Bonsai. The Burton Style is the only style that can not be reproduced by the nature of the global mondial panel...

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Burton Style or otherwise called Cosmic bonsai (Kozumikku in Japanese) was created in 2006 by Darrieux Laurent and Dora Hervé, two avant-garde Frenchmen. Unlike all existing Bonsai styles on the planet that reproduce or tend to reproduce naturally growing tree forms on Earth, the Burton Style consists of creating tree shapes that grow on imaginary planets and do not obey terrestrial laws. To do this particular techniques of shaping will be implemented such as the growth of long branches ligated with complex movements, the absence of the concern of branching during the process of creation and all that will allow to skew on the natural laws governed by the apical force. All that is relative to the solar attraction, to the repetition of fractal forms typical of the trees growing on our star, will be foiled the time of the formation of the tree to take its place thereafter. It should be noted that despite some techniques related to this style and allowing it to be obtained, most of the techniques used to obtain this type of tree are identical to the traditional formations of Bonsai. The Burton Style is the only style that can not be reproduced by the nature of the global mondial panel...
Just downloaded the book - it is facinating! I can definitely see that style suiting your tree.

https://en.cosmicbonsai.com/

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Very often, time will bring solutions.
A slab, from the hands of William Vlaanderen, came across...
Today it was time for his first repotting. I think it's a marriage for ever! (does that exist?:))
I choose the front and angle which fitted best with the slab. Since collecting I hardly changed anything on the tree, only cut a fef branches which were growing the wrong way.
Futureplan for this tree is that I let tell the tree his story; I will use as less as possible wire and will cut and grow the tree....
meidoorn.jpg

Attachments

• meidoorn.jpg
    meidoorn.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 15

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Now...cosmic style...is twisting branches. Imagine you would have to cut all back hard and regrow. I absolutely love Laurent Darrieux 's technique...I've his books...and bless him...an actual art piece that was drawn for the book.

I intend to have a personal lesson when he is in the states toward the end of the year. 😉 I'll have no issue flying to check that off my bucket list.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
🥰 I am so infatuated...
Let's credit the artist...past studient of Laurent Darrieux ...artists name is Hervé Dora.

For one to fully appreciate this style...

I've the actual original drawing of that image. 🥰 that is also found inside the book. As he/Laurent knows my love of neagari.
FB_IMG_1677961432916.jpgFB_IMG_1677961435688.jpgFB_IMG_1677961438535.jpg

FB_IMG_1677918944997.jpg

You can see...Laurent has the above image...in the actual works of being accomplished. Blows my mind!
FB_IMG_1677918888228.jpg

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
This tree surprises me again: only 2 years after collecting, with a (light) repotting last year, and a big one this year, i looks like that the tree will flower this year. I thought that Hawthorn doesn't flower very easy the first years after collecting, only when the root mass is more matured and established. I'm probably wrong?IMG_3176.jpeg

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like this tree a lot. It might not fit the traditional definition of literati style, but that's not a big deal to me. I like the stone display "table" as well. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great character in this tree. Smart design choice keeping it lively and loose, I would have been tempting to pare it down too much. Nice work!

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree. I like the bottom branches, if anything I would take some off the very top, particularly the highest foliage pad that looks like a hat

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Nice tree. I like the bottom branches, if anything I would take some off the very top, particularly the highest foliage pad that looks like a hat
True, but later. It has to develop more, and than I will do some branche selections..

Top Bottom