Hello from Atlanta

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wanted to say hello to everyone here. i am new to bonsai, having joined the Atlanta Bonsai Society last Spring. Most of my trees are nursery stock and are in training pots, although I have purchased one 45 year old Bald Cypress and it is my pride and joy. I am the second owner of this tree and am doing my best to help it prosper, ie. not kill it.

I am a 51 year old retired attorney who has lived in Atlanta for the past 4 years. My other hobbies include orchids, photography, and billiards. I look forward to learning lots of new things here and contributing when I can. Phillip C

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Welcome Phil!
I'm sure you will find that this forum is full of countless amounts of information and even more people who can provide it. Lots of very experienced growers here.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome Phlilip. Glad to see you here and glad that you joined the ABS. It's a great club. I'll be at Ryan Neil's workshop this month and will hopefully make it to his critique/demo as well. Perhaps I'll see you there.

Dave

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Phillip, can we see a photo of your pride and joy? Everybody loves a nice bald cypress....
:)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Phillip! Welcome to BonsaiNut! Trees in nursery pots aren't bad, it just means they're still growing fast. The challenge is to make sure your trees in nice bonsai pots don't look like they BELONG in nursery pots :)

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
21.jpg 31.jpg51.jpg 61.jpg71.jpgI have never posted any photo's on here before, but I did manage an avitar, so maybe these will come out. Also included are most of my other plants are posted as well and include two different kinds of junipers ( I forget what kind) one of three Honoci Cypress, a new trident maple and maybe one or two others that I can't remember that I exported.

Thanks for the welcome, I can't wait to get to know you guys. Dav4, I plan on being at Ryan Neil's workshop and his critique/demo. Not sure which plant to bring, perhaps one of the junipers, but I hope to see you there. I've been to two or three workshops and am sorry to have missed Rodney Clements workshop in October, but I was out of town for October. One of our members took my tree in to water while I was out of town. ABS has been a ton of fun for me already and i'm glad to be back.

Thanks again for the welcome and I look forward to learning from you all. I have already read several of the older posts and gained insight into my BC and young BC forest already.

Again, thanks for the welcome, I'm ready to learn and already gone back over

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
One of our members took my tree in to water while I was out of town.

A first bit of advice - figure out how to water your bonai collection in situ without you having to think about it. Whether you use a drip system, or broadcast sprayer, watering systems are cheap and perhaps cost as much as a single tree. A key to enjoying your trees is to be able to leave them for a long weekend without worrying - or without requiring you to ask favors from friends/neighbors.

For Ryan's workshop, bring the Cypress. You really want to bring your biggest / best tree to get the most out of it. The Cypress needs work but you may be surprised what you will end up with under Ryan's tutelage. Ryan will enjoy the tree - he works with redwoods a LOT.

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
211.jpg 231.jpg 61.jpgWell, the trident didn't make it in, but I'll post one of it now along with a Chinese Elm, and another Honoki Cypress in a training pot. I would value any input anyone cares to share as to what direction to go with these. The 7 tree BC (very small) that you see above I want to make a forest out of, but they are pencil then (maybe) and the butts need to flare much more. My idea is to cut them much lower this spring, but other than that, I am not sure how to get the wide butts on these tall thin baby BC's. Thank you, Phillip

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For Ryan's workshop, bring the Cypress. You really want to bring your biggest / best tree to get the most out of it. The Cypress needs work but you may be surprised what you will end up with under Ryan's tutelage. Ryan will enjoy the tree - he works with redwoods a LOT.

That's the tree I'd bring...very nice and will only improve with work and time.

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Phillip,

Welcome to the forum. See you guys at the critique.

Best,
Kirk

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Phillip,
I met you at the club auction - welcome to the forum. See you at the critique,

Frank from Macon

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A first bit of advice - figure out how to water your bonai collection in situ without you having to think about it. Whether you use a drip system, or broadcast sprayer, watering systems are cheap and perhaps cost as much as a single tree. A key to enjoying your trees is to be able to leave them for a long weekend without worrying - or without requiring you to ask favors from friends/neighbors.

BN, I live in a three bedroom apartment with a very small deck for my trees. There is no water spigot there, so I have to water with a watering can. Oh and I share this tiny space with my wifes orchards in the summer.

Thanks for the advice on taking my large BC, I will do that. I have been to three seminars and critiques so far and have learned tons and am excited about this one with Ryan Neil. Thank you, Phillip C

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the welcome Frank. Having been a member only since last Spring, it is difficult for me to remember everyone's name. The Bald Cypress we are talking about bringing to the seminar is one I bought at the auction from one of the long time members, so you will probably recognize the tree. Look forward to meeting you again at the seminar. Phillip C

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the welcome Frank. Having been a member only since last Spring, it is difficult for me to remember everyone's name. The Bald Cypress we are talking about bringing to the seminar is one I bought at the auction from one of the long time members, so you will probably recognize the tree. Look forward to meeting you again at the seminar. Phillip C

I've been looking for a good bald cypress...should'a gone to the auction:(. Good find for you though:D.

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been looking for a good bald cypress...should'a gone to the auction:(. Good find for you though:D.

This tree was offered and didn't meet the minimum price during the auction proper. I asked around to see who owned it and made him a generous offer and now I have an old Bald Cypress. This tree is quite beyond anything I could begin to do, but I am listening, reading and learning. Before my life as an attorney in Alabama I worked buying hardwood timber mostly in swamps where these trees grow. I have always liked the form and the fact that they are a bit different being a deciduous conifer. I bought some tall slender ones (7 I think) in a group out at the monastery, but am not sure if they still have any. My hope is to fatten them up, butts swollen, and make a BC forest from them. We'll see what happens. See you soon, Phillip C

Top Bottom