Hello from Norway

NanoWinder

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,
I recently got bitten a bit by the bonsai bug, and decided to join this forum to learn more.
Some background: two weeks ago I was asked by my wife to take better care of my 2 years old Ficus Ginseng "mallsai" from IKEA. When first I got it, it almost died from too much water, and then it was given the Sahara treatment until all but two branches and three root bulbs were completely dry and dead. I then got a nicer ficus from my son last week, that I want to be able to take better care of then my IKEA ficus. Then I got a cheap backup-ginseng-ficus in case the IKEA one dies from too much abuse during my initial learning phase, and also for experiments with soils and styling approaches...
The non-ginseng ficus had been growing unsupervised in the shop for some time, so was a quite bit out of shape, and I tried cutting it into a more "in character" style, and I fear it now looks more like an "Ent" out of Lord of the Rings than like a bonsai (see attached picture). Some of the cuttings were planted in a separate pot in case I will need another ficus bonsai some years in the future.
The IKEA ficus now looks quite tragic (see the other attached picture), and I have a hard time imagining what direction to take it, although I guess first priority should be to let it grow back some branches. I guess it also needs repotting as soon as possible after two years in IKEA-ground.
Since I live in Norway, I am a bit limited in outdoors possibilities and have decided to focus on indoors bonsai for now, although I may consider kidnapping a local tree (e.g. juniper?) for some semi-protected part of the garden later when I know a bit more about how to take care of trees.
Are there any other beginner-friendly indoor bonsai to be recommended apart from ficus?
2013-11-20 20.05.39.jpg2013-11-20 20.04.43.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome!

Looks like you are a Miyasaki (Princess Mononoke) fan. ;)

NanoWinder

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome!

Looks like you are a Miyasaki (Princess Mononoke) fan. ;)

Thanks! Yes I'm very fond of his films, and I thought his "kodama" (Japanese tree spirits) would be suitable for this forum :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your first tree's trunk is actually nice, let it bush out and be healthy before you chop it back again.

Do the toothpick method to check for dryness. Stick a toothpic (or a bamboo skewer) into your soil. Let it there and pull it out before you water. If the top 1" soil is dry, water...wait otherwise.

Not sure what other plants are good indoors but know there are various ficus variety. ;) I've read Brazilian Raintree are grown indoor in Canada but not sure how well they do. Mine love outdoors.

What kind of light are you using? Do you have centralized AC?

NanoWinder

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your first tree's trunk is actually nice, let it bush out and be healthy before you chop it back again.

Do the toothpick method to check for dryness. Stick a toothpic (or a bamboo skewer) into your soil. Let it there and pull it out before you water. If the top 1" soil is dry, water...wait otherwise.

Not sure what other plants are good indoors but know there are various ficus variety. ;) I've read Brazilian Raintree are grown indoor in Canada but not sure how well they do. Mine love outdoors.

What kind of light are you using? Do you have centralized AC?

Thanks for the advice! I will look into brazilian raintree. Anyway ficuses can probably keep me busy for a while too. :)

I keep my bonsai in my office with centralized AC/heating set to around 20 degrees Celsius (68 F) and the light is partly natural sunlight from the nearby window, and partly normal fluorescent office light. I mist them daily and I used to water them once a week, although now I will start following your advice about checking with a toothpick and water accordingly.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just be aware, central AC can and will suck lots of air moisture/humidity. Most plants don't like that so watch for it.

BTW, Ryan is the resident ficus expert (and an indoor grower too)...wait for his input. :)

Good luck!

NanoWinder

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just be aware, central AC can and will suck lots of air moisture/humidity. Most plants don't like that so watch for it.

BTW, Ryan is the resident ficus expert (and an indoor grower too)...wait for his input. :)

Good luck!

Thanks! There is AC both in the office and in my home so it is a bit hard to avoid, but I try to compensate by misting generously. Input and advice from the resident expert on Ficus will be very welcome!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chinese elms will do good indoors as will many Citrus varieties. You need to supplement light, keep them from drying out too.

ed

AlBooBoo

Mame
Reaction score
Hello back from norway :D

Even another viking in here :D we are growing strong in numbers i feel hehe..

HAve fun and enjoy the site.. many skilled and very friendly members :)

Drop me an msg if you wanna speak about ficus in norwegian :)

NanoWinder

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even another viking in here :D we are growing strong in numbers i feel hehe..

HAve fun and enjoy the site.. many skilled and very friendly members :)

Drop me an msg if you wanna speak about ficus in norwegian :)

Thanks! So there are other vikings here, that's nice :) I'll send you a pm about ficus.

How about outdoors bonsai in Norway (on the south coast), is it realistic for a beginner to get a bonsai through the winter alive, or better to focus on ficus and other easy indoor plants in the beginning?

NanoWinder

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Last edited:

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What did you make of the recent 'Chinese' offerings from the great house of Ikea?

You think Wotan would eat his Pork chops out of these dishes,store his false eye in this curious cupboard?

I hoped for perhaps more Chinese.

NanoWinder

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What did you make of the recent 'Chinese' offerings from the great house of Ikea?

You think Wotan would eat his Pork chops out of these dishes,store his false eye in this curious cupboard?

I hoped for perhaps more Chinese.

I haven't noticed those since it's been a while since last time I was there, but I don't think IKEA would be my first stop if I was out looking for Chinese stuff :D

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Actualy this Japanese Ikea set it out well,the Gateshead store applied northern frontier attention to detail and it was all scattered around the cavernous building.

Top Bottom