Hello from West Virginia!

Wild&Wonderful

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A few things--If those trees are leafed out, it's too late to collect them. Don't try if they are. They likely won't survive. Early spring before buds break into leaves is the optimal time to collect. We're mostly past that point here for most native trees. Oak can be the most difficult to collect. Hornbeam is among the easiest.

BTW, collecting trees is not a great way to start bonsai. Collected trees require specific skills that aren't necessarily bonsai related to get them to survive post-collection. And even if you get them through a year after digging, they're likely not strong enough to begin bonsai training. That can take 2-5 years, depending on the species and condition after digging.

Best way to get an understanding of bonsai care is to get an actual bonsai. Doesn't have to be expensive or all that developed. Beginner bonsai, best introductory outdoor trees are probably Chinese elm, are available at online places like Brussels bonsai
Most of them had leafed out, so I left ribbon on ones I wanted to come back for next year. A lot of beech still had swollen buds, so I got some of those. Watched a lot of videos on aftercare and collection throughout the past year or so. I’ve had a few survive so far, but like you said they’re just growing and surviving for a few years.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Collected the beech, left the hornbeam with ribbon.
I've never done this, but those American beech seeds should propagate well...hint hint
Wiring them young to put interesting movement in the trunk.
I do better with conifers, but good luck!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Don't know where you are in W.Va., but FYI, the Potomac Bonsai Association's annual show and festival is coming up in two weeks at the National Arboretum in D.C. Lots of vendors (trees, pots, tools, soils etc), demos, and PBA show. May 5-7. Worth the drive if you're within three or four hours of D.C.

BTW, wouldn't bother with EWP. It's not going to teach you much, as it is pretty marginal bonsai material. Not many EWP bonsai around because it doesn't respond well, or consistently, with bonsai practices. In other words, frustrating to work on even for experts.

W.Va. and Va. have hundreds of species of trees and shrubs that ARE worth the time, from hornbeam, beech, blueberry, pitch pine, blackhaw, wisteria (easy to find this time of year because of the blooms--easy to dig out), the list goes on...
where’s your collected stuff on here

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I would give Appalachian Bonsai a follow , he uses good native materials , and a bunch of us on here do to, stick around long enough I’m sure you’ll find inspiration and tips to help your natives journey out if that’s your path. Others use traditional species and that’s totally rad too, just gotta find what speaks to you.

NBogg

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've never done this, but those American beech seeds should propagate well...hint hint
Wiring them young to put interesting movement in the trunk.
I do better with conifers, but good luck!
Sort of late on the post, but I’m also from West Virginia. I made a thread regarding soil advice for our area/zone. I was wondering if you could check it out and let me know what works for you. I’d appreciate it a ton.

Top Bottom